sprocket size

sweet i think im going to go with the 12 front and the 42 rear set up... sound good?

Dang, whatcha gonna do, climb trees? I wouldn't go lower than 13. The smaller the front, the harder it is on the chain. I'd go with 13's and keep the 41s in the back. You'll feel a big difference from stock. But then again, 14/44 would even be better.

Dang, whatcha gonna do, climb trees? I wouldn't go lower than 13. The smaller the front, the harder it is on the chain. I'd go with 13's and keep the 41s in the back. You'll feel a big difference from stock. But then again, 14/44 would even be better.

These ratios are almost identical, however the 13/41 is actually lower at 3.15:1 vs 3.14:1 on the 14/44. Either way, you are absolutely right that you'll notice a big difference going with the 13/41 versus stock. But if you really want to pull a low gear, 13/44 will get you pretty close to the 3.5:1 that the 12/42 would get you, and be easier on parts in general.

Try and gear it around your riding style and motor power. Are you gonna run really small tires like 18" or some bigger ones like 22"? If so that will affect your overall ratio if your gonna go by numbers. I personally went 15/40 so i can ride in 2nd gear pretty much the whole time i trail ride. I am not constantly shifting like other have said with the smaller front sprocket. General rule of thumb is 1 tooth in the front is close to 3 teeth in the rear. Without getting technical thats the easiest to remember. Dustin

Try and gear it around your riding style and motor power. Are you gonna run really small tires like 18" or some bigger ones like 22"? If so that will affect your overall ratio if your gonna go by numbers. I personally went 15/40 so i can ride in 2nd gear pretty much the whole time i trail ride. I am not constantly shifting like other have said with the smaller front sprocket. General rule of thumb is 1 tooth in the front is close to 3 teeth in the rear. Without getting technical thats the easiest to remember. Dustin

I just changed my gearing to 13x44 but I run a 22" 9paddle extreme in the rear. I do lots of steep hill climbs and some occasional drag racing. It lets me launch in 2 really hard and get my wheels spinning faster sooner. I'm pretty big though and like the shorter gearing. I don't mind shifting at all. I run around the dunes in 4th and just give it gas when I need it. I'm happy with it. It's just a dune bike so I'm not too concerned with winning. I'm building a bigger drag bike for that. he he

Edited by BigRed350x