The new Raptor 700

Hopefully I don't get hollered at for posting about a Raptor in this forum, but I'm curious :)

Anyways, I have now ridden the YFZ 450, TRX 450, Predator 500, and Raptor 660, but not the new Raptor 700R.

Anyone here know much about the raptor 700? I know the 660 is a freaking joke. No power, slower than death; my banshee smoked that thing even when the banshee was still stock! Also, the YFZ 450 and TRX are both way faster with alot more power, as is the predator 500.

If anyone is curious, as far as power and speed, I would prolly rate the 4 stroke 4 wheelers like this, from best to crappiest:

Predator 500 (no low end and not much mid-range, but MAJOR top end power - Great for drag racing)

- YFZ 450 (great power EVERYWHERE; prolly smokes any other 4 stoke on a track. Lost to my banshee with pipes & clamp on K&N's every single time in multiple pavement drags. the YFZ had a pipe too.)

- TRX 450 (Insane low end power, good mid and top end power, but not as good as the YFZ. This has so much low-end that I don't think the engine even knows it when you let the clutch out)

- Raptor 660 (sounds like a fart when running. Decent torque, but very crappy acceleration & power curve. Not even comparible to the YFZ/TRX/Predator)

So did yamaha do a good job with the raptor 700? or is it junk like the raptor 660?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

My sister's raptor 660 has a K&N proflow with a Yosh slip on and went up 1 tooth on the counter and I beat my buddies banshee with T-5's, K&N, V-force and vito's superstock pistons (not sure if they add much) many times in a 300ft drag. Both bikes are tuned in. I dont think there slow by any means. I think they have gobbs or torque and bottom end power. It pulled the bigger counter like it was nothing. You just have to know how to tune them in cuz they can be pretty tricky. I also own a YFZ450 and a Predator. I think the Predator belongs on the bottom of that list. My next quad for my wife will be a Raptor 700 hands down.

New Raptor 700 is a joke. Dude had a Factory 4 slip on and knarlies and he weighs like 140 lbs and my 240 lb buddy has an 02 Banshee with T-5's, cool head, pro-flow and 40 over Vito's superstock pistons and the Raptor might as well have been a Polaris. Heh. Still no comparison to a Banshee.

I agree....

Predator = Predaturd...

Don't get me wrong, they look nice...good ergos, and are a great trail machine...

They are not by any means even a decent drag bike.

Friends of ours went to ride in a large, large grass field, and drag raced all day.

The Predator there has the usual, cam, pipe, etc....and a 20 shot of Nitrous.

My buddy has a 450 with a low compression 480 kit, cam, pipe, cleaned up head, ignition, lightened flywheel and FCR carb...and it flat out smoked that predator on the juice.

I'd rather have an 06 450 R with a pipe, filter, cam and jetting for trails....and play dune riding. The 450s are fun, no doubt. But, as said....it takes a whole lotta loot to get 'em in drag race form.

Actually....change that. I'd rather have the new Suzuki with a pipe, filter and cherrybomb, and 20" rear tires, too...

They are not slow in comparison, dead stock trim...

However, not a single person will argue, you will put more money and time into one to get the power out of them.

Keep in mind, all these 450s were designed as MX bikes.

The new Suzuki further proves that with 18 inch rear tires.

And what was the #1 MX bike of all time until the 450s came out? Yep, 250R. A bike produced from 86 to 89...that was still the mount of choice until late 2003...that's saying something.

The 450R has similar geometry and ergos. NO...NOT the same...but similar.

No one will also argue that a stock 450 and stock shee handling isn't even close....

Funny...the shee came out in 87...the 250R in 86...yet their geometry couldn't be further apart on the spectrum.

I rib my buddies cause most of 'em ride 4 strokes...but, in all reality, they are fun to ride, make for much better trail bikes than a shee, and lets face it. Less finicky about tuning and more reliable.

They're just not great drag bikes...unless you have a lot of coin...and time.

A stock KFX is very very good out of the hole (not that hard to just push the gas) but, after that...a piped/jetted shee will walk it no problem.

That 700 is Heavy, big time.

Edited by dajogejr

The main problem with the 4-slokes isn't the ridability of them for me, it's the amount of money you need to put into it to get all the power out of it you want. Plus the fact that yes they sit way too high, I always feel like I am going to tip over on my side when I ride my wifes 660........... :cheers:

the fun it just not there for me with a 4 stroke they don't have the zip like a shee.yeah they are fast but dollar for dollar they will lose to a shee everytime..and the kfx700 is a joke i had a piped shee with no air box lid with pt pies and smoked a 700 maybe the guy didn't know how to ride don't know but ot me it was slow.....and yeah i got beat by some 450's but they had pipes but how much did they spend on there bikes with a pipe and how much did i spend...........

4stroke: and more reliable.

I really have to disagree on that.

Ive had my 2003 banshee since it was new.. always giving it a beating of a lifetime.. (ask tithead) and this banshee has overcome anything it was put up with..

In those few years i've seen 660's 450s predators and cannondales break down with VERRY expensive repair bills.. where my banshee only had the minor maintainance.. chains sprockets.. a rear axle bearing now and then.

There are more banshees around and i never hear any bad stuff from the banshee riders..

my friend had his 700 raptor on the dyno recently

it has 54 hp and 60nm on the rear wheels.

gytr full exhaust and a powercommander + airbox with holes.

it does around 84 MPH.. now with the smaller road legal tires it will be a bit slower.

The suspension is way to soft imo.

The suzuki 450 looks great (IMO)

Both the suzuki 450 and the 700 raptor have been beaten on top speed rolling start and dead start with a yfz450.. THE OLD MODEL.. since the newer models really produce less power..

my 2000 banshee outruns the yfz 450.. on top speed and pulls harder.

do the math.

oh the 700 raptor has about 2000 usd in parts already on it... add that to the already much higher stealership buy a bike price..

spend that kind of money on a banshee and you''ll be producing in the 90HP range power.

conclusion.. all recent bikes are fast..

what do you wanna ride?

and more important...Will you be part of a legend?

A way of life?

If it where up to me we would all be breathing 2 stroke fumes right now...

and baking our pancakes in 2-stroke oil .. yeah baby :drool:

It's a trade off.

You can spend 2Gs on a 4 stroke, it won't be as fast as that banshee...it will still be reliable, though.

Trust me, once you start putting 80 plus HP out, you will start to break shit.

I think the 06 YFZ and 450R have MORE HP than their predecessors....stock.