Good Friend of Mine Crashed This Weekend

Got a call from my uncle yesterday. His nephew, who I grew up with , crashed his CRF450 out in California during a freestyle/jump contest. He came up short on a 110 foot jump attempt, snapped both wrists upon landing and smashed his head on the handlebars (he was in full gear as usual). They rushed him to the hospital where they put pins in his wrists to hold them together. His brain is also badly bruised. All in all, he's very banged up. He did not wake up after surgery when they expected him to and he also developed a 105*f fever. He finally woke up Monday (crash was Saturday). His girlfriend walked into his room at the hospital after his surgery and immediately got sick right there on the spot...he looks that bad.

Scary thing is I got the phone call about an hour after I was doing 3rd gear wheelies on the Banshee. Think someone was trying to tell me something?

Becareful out there guys and gals.

Edited by TurbochargedOne

that reminds me of the time i wrecked on a double.... i was on a 250ex 5th gear pinned so i was doing about 55 or more it was a little worked.... well i hit it and it launch's me more up than out and i land just short so the middle of my frame lands on the landing so no suspention helped me.... then the back end sagged and then release and rocketed the quad forward sending me into a front flip... anyway i flew off the quad and just started rolling.... idk how long i was out but when i opend my eyes my glass's were off, my helmet was off, and a few other things.... and i to this day cant remember if i ripped them off or if they flew off.... oh and ass for the quad on inpact i bent that bars down in a M and it was almost touching the gas tank on both sides, axle was a U and something else was wrong i couldnt remember what... but to this day i have trouble remembering things.... anyway as for the damage for me.... i new somehting was wrong with me but i didnt go to the hospital.... i ended up walking on cruch's for about 2 months just cuz it hurt so bad to walk.... it hurt to ben over or do anything fast.... and to this day if i stand a long time or if i walk alot i get pains in my legs... right where they were when i wrecked... im guessing i cracked a bone or something.... maybe not broke it but at least cracked it.....

i hope your friend pulls threw

You have any updates for us? Hows he doing? Better I hope.

Sycoracer911 if you ever have a bad wreck like that get to the hospital.

You could have had internal injuries and died. I know this really didn't have anything to do with you, but you should always becareful before taking you helmet off after a bad crash.

Just got some news today. He's doing much better. His wrists are in worse shape than what the doctors originally anticipated, though. That's still much better than his head injury being more serious than it is, I suppose. His face is still pretty beat up from smashing into the handlebars, but he's talking.

They had to take him completely off morphine because he was going into detox. symptoms (cold sweats, etc.). This of course means he will be actually feeling the pain which isn't fun, but it beats becoming addicted. He'll be going through some serious pain when it comes time to start his wrist rehabilitation. He has to relearn how to use his hands. He's also talking about never riding again, but that's pretty normal for a guy who nearly lost his life in a crash. I know I would be rethinking things a bit if I cam up short on a 110 foot triple jump at 70+mph. I think he'll be ridiing again (if his wrists allow him), but don't think he will actually race again. At least not on a competitive level.

BTW, he's originally from NJ but moved to Los Angeles a couple years ago. Not sure at what track he crashed at.

I can't even imagine what he's going though. I crashed last weekend and cut my hand down to the bone. I had get two stiches. It's heal nice, but I'm still having troubles using it. I hear of stuff like this and realize I'm very lucky, it could of been worse.

Tell him the guys are Bansheehq are hoping the best for him.

Back in Janurary of this year, I ran through a barb wire fense on the banshee goin about 30-35 mph. This was in the place that I ride like every day. I was coming up out of this trail in the woods into the field, and theres this open gap in an old fense row that I go through to get to another trail. Well it just so happend that a guy that was renting the field from us to put some horses in had closed the gap with three strands or barb wire. I didnt know he had put it up and was heading straight for it like it wasnt even there and when I get to about 10 -15 feet from it I just then see it but I couldnt react fast enough. the banshee breaks through the two lower strands, but I catch the top strand right in the throat. I get clotheslined of the back of the shee and it rolls about 20 feet and stops.

I dont remember exactly, but I think I did like a backflip and smacked the ground hard, I had a helmet on. I remember laying on my back looking up and every thing is just spinning in circles and im trying to catch my breath, felt like someone was standing on my throat and I couldnt get air. if you know what it feels like to get hit in the stomach or balls real hard and how it feels like you cant breath, thats how I felt. I unstraped my helmet after I caught my breath and felt my throat. When I exhaled I felt air coming out and first thing I thought was holy shit! :bolt: it cut my wind pipe completely in two I later find out.

So I walk back to the banshee, start it and ride about a half mile down the road back to the house holding my shirt collar over my throat. my parents rush me to the hospital. in the car I looked in the mirror and I could see this perfect quarter inch wide slit all the way accross my throat, but I didnt have no bleeding at all from it :blink: .

they did emerengcy surgury there and put a trach in and then life flight me to louisville hospital. There they sewed up my throat and put a stomach tube in me. I was in the hospital for 12 days. they couldnt let me leave untill they got my blood thinner stabilized ( it also did some artery damage in there, which is why I have to take blood thinner untill july). I was able to eat regular food befor I left though.

I still have the trach right now cause I still cant breath clearly enough through my mouth and nose, and it messed up my vocal chords and I cant talk, but I can make a loud wisper kinda.

sorry for the long story, hope your friend recovers alright

I hope he pulls through without any lasting problems. Yeah, 110 feet on a quad is a hell of a lot further than I want to go. At that time you take your life in your own hands, and once you leave the ground its in God's................

Sounds like he'll be ok though.......... :cheers: