snowmobiles

I am buying a sandrail with an Arctic Cat 700 carbed motor. The motor is water cooled, dual cylinder, but I am trying to figure out what kind of power, and what sled the motor came from. I would like to add some power, but I have no clue what mods to do first anyone have any idea?

Kevin

arctic cat made two completely different types of 700 two stroke motors. if its out of an f-7 its a case reed motor.good power( 125-130) and lots of aftermarket stuff available to hop it up.responds well to porting, aftermarket reeds and twin or single performance pipes.lots of big bore kits available for them. arctic cat also had a piston/port(no reeds) 700 2 stroke.it is an older motor design and it came in the zr-7 chassis. still made fairly decent power (around 120 hp) but go fast stuff is getting harder to find for them. i got one out in the garage. was punched out to 800cc and ported by psi performance.supposed to be around 145hp w/ twin pipes and bored 38 mikunis.(bored to 39.5mm) the piston port motor was alot heavier than the new case reed 700. find out what type of sled this came out of before you buy it.

arctic cat also made a wildcat 700 in the early 90s. but it was one of the first EFIs in a seld. i am not sure if they made a carb or not. but if i was to guess it would be a 700 out of a ZR. (which is a dog compared to the F7 or anything other 700 out there). i think the zr 700 was the worst sled arctic cat made. it only made 115 HP. for some reason it just didnt have the nuts.

post a picture of the motor or find out what year of sled it's out of and i can tell you exactly what it is. do the carbs mount onto the engine case or are they mounted on the cylinders. if they're on the cylinders its an old zr 700 motor. if it is the zr 700, aftermarket speed parts may be hard to find. you can contact Hooper racing, PSI performance, D&D racing or maybe Speedwerks to find out if they are still doing work on these types of engines. also try "american snowmobilers" site (www.amsnow.com) for any other info. i know that PSI had a 890cc kit for this engine that put out a claimed 187hp, but wether it's still available,i'm not sure. for the cost of the kit, you could probably buy a more powerful engine out of an old drag sled . i'd say run it and see what happens and have fun.

Sorry guys I am clueless also on most of this stuff. I have never even seen a snowmobile, I was hoping the motor was close to a banshee with an Auto tranny and a pulley system. I have done lots of port work on banshee's that make good power, that would be really nice. I am picking up the car Tuesday and I will get you guys some more info. Here are a couple pics.

Kevin

Edited by westexgt

yep , thats the old 700 piston port motor. like i said, try some of the companies i mentioned before, for performance parts. those are stock pipes that are on it now.(modified just a bit). half of the battle with a snowmobile engine is the clutching.peak horse power is supposed to be around 8100-8200 rpm for that motor. if its got a tach in it check your rpms to see if thats where its reving.(hold wide open under load/while driving) if its over or underyour peak hp range, you,re losing power and should make changes to your clutch set up.either add or subtract weight from your primary clutch levers.if you need any set up advice just pm me.