2001 Banshee overheating

brots06

I just recently bought a 2001 banshee, changed the gas, and spark plugs. Ive only ridden it around the yard a couple of times hitting 3rd or 4th gear max and the engine seemed to get warm fast but i didnt think anything of it. Today i took it on a straight dirt road and punched it, i rode in 6th for about half a mile or so and when i came to the end of the road smoke starting pouring out of the front and a little bit of coolant was leaking onto the pipes. I sat there for about 5 minutes to let it cool off and then drove it back home when i got back it wasnt smoking or leaking so whats up????? :confused:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing I would do is tighten the head to the proper torque spec. It has a tendency to back off, and if it does, coolant flows into the cylinders, thus boiling over qlmost instantly. happened to me last year... My .02 :cheers:

i havent checked the fluid level, where is it located? The only mod is a boost bottle.. (off topic but the quad came with the boost bottle does it do any thing?)

504794[/snapback]

The coolent resivor is under the seat and the radiater is under the grill.Your banshee may not of over heated at all.If the coolent in the resovior is to high it will push out the exses coolent and the hose for the over flow is above the pipe on the right side.Banshees like to run at the low mark in the overflow bottle anything more and they push it out.

i just went outside and found the problem, the coolant level is right above the low level. Can i use regular car antifreeze or should i go to the dealer and buy special coolant? :D

504826[/snapback]

na, plain ol' antifreeze that you use in you car will work fine-though there is a coolent called "engine ice" that awsome stuff-----just an idea

how do u think its a blown head gasket? I just bought the quad and the coolant is low and i didnt know it, it could be just that simple couldnt it? :confused: Besides it overheating once, the quad runs great im pretty sure it cant be blown... but i dont know much about these quads

Edited by brots06