482 cheetah power valve

ill be going lobstering with my older brother all year round aint goin back to school ill make like 25-30 grand a year maybe more but thats what i no for sure i will make i no i will have to maintain my wheeler now that i will be working i will be happy to throw money in it i have time to think about it sence this fall if prolly when i will do the work and it aint like im goin all out in engine work but i no the facts as long as i work make good money witch i will ill be set. nik

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to bash him, I just want him to be aware that mainenance will be an expense that he needs to budget for.

I can tell you that there is no way I could have afforded to put together a motor like that and maintenance it correctly when I was 15 or 16 unless my parents would have helped me. I wasn't working minimum wage jobs either...

486753[/snapback]

Maintenance isnt a big deal if you take care of stuff and do basic preventative maintenance.

25-30k per year????????????you better go back to school....... not trying to put you down, but thats not alot of money. It might seem like alot now, but youre not gonna be able to live off that and still maintain your bike......unless you live at home forever..... just my .02

Maintenance isnt a big deal if you take care of stuff and do basic preventative maintenance.

487070[/snapback]

I agree, but I also believe that most 15 year olds don't truely understand preventave maintenance to the same degree that an older, more seasoned rider may understand.

In the last 10 years I have learned a lot, and I can tell you that most people my age still truly don't understand the 2 stroke engine much less have the ability to work on them correctly, and I am 10 years older than him.

This is just my opinion. I am not trying to bash anybody. I am just trying to make him aware that he isn't just in for an occasional piston and rings swap from time to time like he may be with a relatively stock banshee.

BTW, I would stay in school kid. $30k isn't much when you get into the real world and have to pay for all your own stuff.

heyya Twin im not bashin' ya, im tryin' to let ya in on a lil thing that you better open up to. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER .... stay in school man. i gotta 18yr old that thought he was gonna go do it with out education. now hes pretty well fucked, unlless he goes back to school ...... the more education ya get the better off you will be later in life.... i'll help ya out with question's that i can, but i did find the hooked on fonix a bit funny tho lol.

I have that same motor your talking about a 485 cheetah with powervalves, 38 pwk's and shearer bigbore inframes on gas. It dyno'ed at 90 hp on gas and just over 100 on alky. I say if thats what you want to spend your money on then go for it. As far as maintence goes be sure to find a good motor builder that can make all the difference in the world with how long these motors stay together.

Ok guys i understand on the hole matain thing im getting the 421 just dont talk about my job my brother just took a 180 grand lown out for a new boat and he is doin great i got my stundent licence when i get my real lobster lisence i will be able to go on my own and make the big bucks do a little reseach cause thats the only thing pissin me of lobster men start out as stern men then once they get there lisence they get a boat traps all the gear and make 100 grand a year some evan more every lobstermen i no have a good truck the hole nine yards just the engine my brother is buying is 52 grand its gonna be a fast and nice booat javascript:emoticon(':D')

smilie

That's great and all, and it would be a good way for you to make some extra cash for your banshee and what ever else. But, I don't think that dropping out of school at 15 is in your best interest. I can speak from experience, trust me. I think working for your brother part time, to make some cash and get some experience on the boat while you finish school would be a good idea. And after that if it's still what you want to do, go for it. Just my .02