Fixing cracked plastic

I have a nice 6 inch crack on my rear plastics that I want to fix. I like the plastics and dont want to spend the money to get new ones so I was hoping that I could fix it. A product such as an epoxy or glue would be perfect... is there anything out there that works? Is there any reason a clear epoxy would not work? I did a search but the only advice I found was to either duct tape the underside or buy new plastics.

There are company's that do plastic welding, try and find one near you. Glues and epoxy's don't last long at all because of the type of plastic.

u could always drill both ends of the crack ,then drill small 1/16 in holes across from each other all the way up the crack and wire it up . its not the best looking but it helps from cracking any more.just a thought !

481751[/snapback]

I agree ! :headbang: It just gives it some carecter, I've used zip ties in a criss cross patern and it works pretty sweet :cheers:

Glues dont work well on plastic, you can get a cheap welding kit from Harbor Freight. Or there are several other places that sell the equipment at a much higher price (you get what you pay for) Just remeber once you get it heated up keep moving or you will have more than just a crack. Make sure you stop drill each end to prevent it from going further.

Was that from the cracks in the plastic, or was it from the word "Suzuki" on the side of the bike?  :P

482109[/snapback]

LOL it wasnt from the cracks, it was like that out da factory!!! ya id do the old stich's routine, aint the best lookin but will last for years!!

i once had a older four wheeler i drilled holes on each side of the crack and zip tied it then put gorilla glue on both sides it expands while drying.then i cut out the zip ties sanded down with sander then bondo it resand and painted with some krylon fusion paint then some clear coat turned out pretty good.just something to throw your whay good luck.

1.drill holes on both sides of the crack.

2.go and get cool colored zip-ties from the local wal-mart/parts store

3. use them in a criss cross pattern to secure the plastic together

4. go riding and get praises from all your buddies with cracked plastics that don't have friends on the HQ :cheers: