Tow Trucks

watkins

Little off topic, but i got pretty frustrated digging my 2WD Tundra outa the sand at glamis all weekend long. Wanting to get a 4x4. Was thinking about just getting another tundra but with 4WD instead of 2WD because I love this truck, handles great and has good power for what I need.

Another option I am looking at is getting a F-250 Turbo Diesel.

Here are my thoughts, for the moment the tundra can tow pretty much everything that i currently own. However looking down the road I am thinking of getting a toy hauler and dont really want to be all that restricted. The tundra could probably pull a nice size hauler, but I dont want to be in the position I am in now, having a fairly new truck that just cant do what I need it to do (and right now thats getting outa the sand).

What are all your thoughts? Do many of you have Ford Diesels? How do they hold up? How are they on fuel? Any of you have 4x4 tundras? How well can they tow through the loose stuff?

I want something that isnt going to break down on me. My tundra has been great, I have beaten it pretty good and it still drives like the day I got it.

Price wise they are almost identical. Actually the F-250 being cheaper... but that doesnt mean that much to me.

first off. does your tundra have good tires on it? if they are stock then a good set of offroad tires might help. did you lower the pressure and everything? you could always do some stuff to your engine too. you could svae a lot and probably make your truck usable. it wouldnt compare to a big diesel or anything but it would get the job done.

I dont have the stock tires anymore. Bottom line is with a trailer hooked up to the truck there is not way im moving on the sand.. without the trailer the tundra does ok with 2WD.. but I really am wanting the 4x4... saves alot of hassle.... now as far as the diesels go, thats more for future planning... i just dont want to be sitting here in 2 years wanting a 30ft toy hauler or something and not being able to tow it because my truck doesnt have the juice.... now... honestly, I really despise ford trucks, but toyota doesnt have any big trucks.

what the hell are you going to tow that you need a diesel, they are loud ,smell, and not every gas station sells diesel fuel . the toyota will pull a pretty big trailer, if not get a full size (ford , chevy) 3/4 ton .i had a diesel, brand new f350 ,and i hated it . traded it in for chevy silverado 1500 Z71 with 5.3 v8. i can pull a big ass camper on the beach.

what the hell are you going to tow that you need a diesel, they are loud ,smell, and not every gas station sells diesel fuel . the toyota will pull a pretty big trailer, if not get a full size (ford , chevy) 3/4 ton .i had a diesel, brand new f350 ,and i hated it . traded it in for chevy silverado 1500 Z71 with 5.3 v8. i can pull a big ass camper on the beach.

what the hell are you going to tow that you need a diesel, they are loud ,smell, and  not every gas station sells diesel fuel .  the toyota will pull a pretty big trailer,  if not get a full size (ford , chevy)  3/4 ton .i had a diesel, brand new f350 ,and i hated it . traded it in for chevy silverado 1500 Z71 with 5.3 v8. i can pull a big ass camper on the beach.

476931[/snapback]

exactly ...... :headbang:

what the hell are you going to tow that you need a diesel, they are loud ,smell, and  not every gas station sells diesel fuel .  the toyota will pull a pretty big trailer,  if not get a full size (ford , chevy)  3/4 ton .i had a diesel, brand new f350 ,and i hated it . traded it in for chevy silverado 1500 Z71 with 5.3 v8. i can pull a big ass camper on the beach.

476931[/snapback]

Silverado's for life!

Cheap to repair and tough tough, with power to spare. Deisels may last forever but all the little parts cost a fortune!

Ford SD's are the way too go! no other pickup trucks compare in price, durability, options, power.

forget Deisel tho, unless you buy the older 7.3L turbo, the new 6.0L's are problem plagued. another thing is they are heavy as a mofo and on a new truck (Ford) it is a $5300 option. and deisel costs more (round here it is normally $0.30 higher per gallon then gas) and that adds up quick when filling a 36 gallon tank!

the V-10 in the SD's is only a ~$650 option and has ~345hp and ~460lb-ft of tq. you can get a 6 speed to help with mpg's they are very stout as well.

Ford SD's are the way too go! no other pickup trucks compare in price, durability, options, power.

forget Deisel tho, unless you buy the older 7.3L turbo, the new 6.0L's are problem plagued. another thing is they are heavy as a mofo and on a new truck (Ford) it is a $5300 option. and deisel costs more (round here it is normally $0.30 higher per gallon then gas) and that adds up quick when filling a 36 gallon tank!

the V-10 in the SD's is only a ~$650 option and has ~345hp and ~460lb-ft of tq. you can get a 6 speed to help with mpg's they are very stout as well.

477060[/snapback]

Yeah the service manager of my local ford dealership is a friend of mine and I spoke to him a little bit ago and he said the new 6.0 PSD are pieces of sh*t and not to even consider getting one. SO.. scratch that... thinking more and more a diesel may be a little overkill for what I am looking for... do any of you have 4x4 tundra's? I just want to be sure that the 4x4 will help me tow a trailer better in the soft sand of glamis.

476931[/snapback]

get real dude. any of the diesel trucks are gonna run circles around any gas junk truck. gas trucks are for daily drivers for ppl who wanna act like they have big trucks. diesels are for pullin shit around whether it be a ford, dodge or chevy. id own any of the diesels over any gas engine truck anyday..why fuck around and buy a cheese burger when you can just go ahead and buy the steak....

go all out and buy the biggest thing you can afford.

all I know around here any toyota truck will fetch some mad money.

I dont care if its in 3 pieces, you cant find a toyota truck under 1g.

A newer toyota should pull every bit of what kbb.com claims its worth.

There was an 86 toyota at local lot with the 22r motor, the last year with straight axle, no rear diff, 180,000 miles he was asking 3g's and it was rusted all the heck. You could see where previous owner welded steel plate to keep the frame from rusting through. The truck wasnt there a week and it was sold. I couldnt believe it.

A new tundra you can prolly get close to what you paid for it, to help take a chunk outta the new truck payment.

:headbang::headbang: i run a 99 f350 4x4 powerstroke 7.3 ...its totally awsome i get 15 miles a gal wether im driving like a dick hauling nothing or loaded to the gills toy hauler it dont matter.....i think your tundra would be ok as long as your not driving like an ass .....accelerate slowly .....lower tire pressure or go park your shit over on the wash side by tracks much harder over there .....if your tring to drive to olds to party keep it floorboarded and pray ........ps thats driving like ass .....i live in ohio iplow withmy truck ihaul bobcats i beat it pretty good got 130k and im sure i could load it tomorrow and drive it straight through to glamis 40 hrs rock on .......california everything lasts longer so get a used one if you feel the power the motors rated for 300-500k so dont be afraid of anything with high miles :bolt: