DOGS!

stuntmasta3o5

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the pooch for? I used to read electric meters and 99% of dogs are all show, regardless of breed. Out of the 3 nastiest tangles I ever had, 1 was with a pit, 1 with a dalmation, and 1 with a great dane of all things. Of the 3 you mentioned, Rotts are probably the wimpiest, with mastiff's 2nd. Pits are dumb as rocks so they're usually pretty easy to get around, but they're pretty vicious and have a high tolerance for pain. Pretty much the only way ur gonna get a dog to be really nasty is to beat it everyday. So ya uh...have fun with that one.

What's the pooch for?  I used to read electric meters and 99% of dogs are all show, regardless of breed.  Out of the 3 nastiest tangles I ever had, 1 was with a pit, 1 with a dalmation, and 1 with a great dane of all things.  Of the 3 you mentioned, Rotts are probably the wimpiest, with mastiff's 2nd.  Pits are dumb as rocks so they're usually pretty easy to get around, but they're pretty vicious and have a high tolerance for pain.  Pretty much the only way ur gonna get a dog to be really nasty is to beat it everyday.  So ya uh...have fun with that one.

454100[/snapback]

My main goal was getting a pit mix.. I just used the other two becuase I couldn't think of anything else.. And I prefer not to get a Great Dane.. due to size..

The dog is supposed to be protection of the house.. Since about a month ago my DVX 400 was stolen..And since I really don't wanna get an alarm system.. :shrugani:

The purpose of the dog is be intimidating (i.e. muscles and size) and loyal (so it won't decide to eat my face)

I only chose the breed for its show of muscle and size.. All dogs.. I believe.. could be mean n' nasty (like a pack of chihuahuas.. if I spelt it correctly) but I also believe some dogs such as pits tend to be more territorial and viscious tahn most dogs becuase of they're bloodline..

Pits are dumb as rocks

454100[/snapback]

They're only as stupid as the person training them!!! I personally, have never seen a "dumb" pit. It's also ironic how you said their pretty easy to get around, but yet you mentioned you had one of the top 3 nastiest tangles with one of them. :huh:

If you end up getting one, just be sure to take the time to train them properly and you'll have one of the best dogs. Pit mixes are great too, just make sure you know what the other half is before you get one though! :cheers:

Breed actually has alot less to do with temperment than most people think. Yes, one of my top 3 tangles was with a female pit that had puppies around the side of the house. I'm not saying that pits are useless as a guard dog, I'm just saying that 9x outta 10 I could distract a pit long enough to get the read and get out without it coming to a real confrontation. Rattling one side gate and then walking in the other worked all the time.

My favorite was this mean lil bastard named Tank. All I had to do was tip-toe in the side gate really quietly, then slide the door closed on his doggy door. At that point I'd yell "Edison" real loud to announce that the Edison meter reader was there. Man...Tank would come running full bore straight into that solid doggy door. Ya so this was totally cheating on my end but it was funny as hell to watch him do it every month. Never did learn that hearing the word "Edison" meant his head was about to start hurting...

For territoriality, you'll be hard pressed to find something better than a German Shepard. Although any dog that is kept almost exclusively in the house/yard will get that way (walks are fine, just don't take it to work with you to meet every customer that comes in). Most would-be theives will avoid a house with any dog. Small lil kick dogs (ankle biters) yap like crazy and get every dog in 3 blocks barking with em. Plus they're quick as hell and sneeky. I only got bit twice and both times it was on the back of the calf by some lil rat of a dog. Labs, retrievers and such are generally very protective over the family, especially kids. They're also pretty protective over the house when the family isn't home as well. Um...geez, you name the breed and I can tell ya about a nasty one I ran into.

Breed actually has alot less to do with temperment than most people think.  Yes, one of my top 3 tangles was with a female pit that had puppies around the side of the house.  I'm not saying that pits are useless as a guard dog, I'm just saying that 9x outta 10 I could distract a pit long enough to get the read and get out without it coming to a real confrontation.  Rattling one side gate and then walking in the other worked all the time.

454198[/snapback]

Now that, I don't doubt :D They are typically a gentle natured breed unless they're raised to be violent. As long as you don't come across as a threat, a large majority of them would probably play with you before attacking you....most people just see a pit and start running, etc., which is gonna make the dog chase you...pretty much the same with "most" dogs.

I totally agree with you about the german shepherds....if you're looking for a guard dog, those are the ones to get. I had a buddy of mine with two of them trained by the police (his uncle was an officer). Those dogs would eat you alive if they didn't know who you were or the owner told them to attack. They also have a pretty good life span on them too, given you take good care of them.

On a lighter note though, saying a breed of dogs is "dumb" is like saying humans are stupid because you ran into an idiot one day...it's not the human race's fault that guy was an idiot, it's the lack of education and proper upbringing that makes them retarded. :cheers: Now, temperment definitely has more to do with bloodline rather than breed, but how smart/stupid the dog is depends on the owner.

If you have ghetto's in your area, go to the shelter or pounds. Lots of pitbulls and rottweilers there. They get taken away from all the mexicans and blacks. they have usually been mistreated so they are mean. However, aggresive dogs are put to sleep.

An alarm system doesn't need to be fed, go to the vet, have a bath, etc... Not as expensive as you think. You don't need to get the service, just install motion sensors and the alarm itself.

If you have ghetto's in your area, go to the shelter or pounds.  Lots of pitbulls and rottweilers there.  They get taken away from all the mexicans and blacks.  they have usually been mistreated so they are mean.  However, aggresive dogs are put to sleep.

An alarm system doesn't need to be fed, go to the vet, have a bath, etc...  Not as expensive as you think.  You don't need to get the service, just install motion sensors and the alarm itself.

454248[/snapback]

My neighbour just puts stickers on her windows to make people think there is an alarm instaled, she seems to believe it works.

Well certain breeds lend towards certain characteristics. Just like a stereotype, its not always the case but its true often enough to be more than coincidence. Pits are thought to be very dangerous animals, and sometimes they are. Generally I found that they're pretty nasty to fight with because of their threshold for pain, but are usually easy to outsmart. That said, the smartest dog I've ever seen was a pit/chow mix.

Out of the 1000's of dogs I've squared off against - pits, rotts, mastiffs, chihuahua's, chows, etc...the one I hated the most was the Akita. They don't bark, they don't act aggressive, they just look at ya and then when they're close enough they attack. You literally won't know whether its a cool dog or a killer until its 3 feet away. I dunno if that's the kinda dog you want cruising around your house but some people like em. Personally I'd go for the alarm system. If your buddy/uncle/daughter accidentally sets off the alarm it doesn't involve a trip to the ER. My wife accidentally closed a gate on her shepard's tail when she was a kid. When she tried to free it the dog mauled her leg. Good dog but shit like that happens all the time. Ask around with anybody at animal control and they'll tell you horror stories about somebody's family pet that'll make you never want anything bigger than a teacup poodle.

Edited by Wallrat

Guys, Guys... slow down.. I've had dogs before...lol..

I've had 3 dogs I used to take care of.. An Akita (mean dog).. A rednose (good dog).. and a German sheapard mixed with Wolf (Beautiful dog)

I just wanted info on where I could get another dog.. and I was hoping you guys could let me in if you knew someone was breeding a pit mix or something..

An Alarm system could be wonderful but I prefer a good companion over some computer anyday..

Anyways.. let me know if you found someone.. :cheers:

Edited by stuntmasta3o5

A breeder of Mixes? Mixed breeds are usually neighborhood dogs who get loose and bang another stray.

My girlfriend and I have a Pit. Best dog I have ever had (out of 4). No idea if she's mean or not. So far, a lover.

Adopt from the Pound. Save a life and make a new best friend.

I'd say go with a timberwolf if you've already owned a hybrid. They're extremely loyal, intimidating as hell to the average person, and are generally really intelligent.

I chain the shee to the kennel with a 2 in. thick trucker chain and a real lock, haven't had any problems yet. Wolves seem to have memories like elephants, I had a buddy that kicked him when he was 6 mo. and he remembered him 5 yrs. later. The main thing you need to remember is if you introduce somebody to the dog, the dog will usually connect that person with you. Since most quads seem to be stolen by people that know you, watch who you introduce the dog to.

I would go bandog all the way :evil::evil: You cant beat the guard skills of Neopolitan mastiff. Dont take this the wrong way wallrat but I will put the bank on it you couldnt get in to read my meter. You havent come across a fully trained dog yet!

Banshee88, A bandog is a mixed breed that they are trying to make legal :headbang: It is normally a Neopolitan Mastiff (Ranked #1 for Gaurd work) with a pitbull or French Mastiff ( for there Drive). They sell for a pretty pen too $1000 and up..

Edited by ellison445