?'s for the 4-stroke dirtbike guys...

dawgfan

I came across this guy near me with a 01 yz250f he wants to sell me cheap. Well, I think it's cheap.....$1200. It's a pretty clean bike and seems to have real good power to me, but it's the only 4 stroke bike I've ever ridin. I would compare it to a 125 2 stroke. Only thing is, it won;t start cold without pushing it off. Fires right up by pushing, but won't kick. Once it warm up you can kick start it, although still difficult. I played with both chokes and the idle, but nothing. The only way I could start it after warm up was to hold the throttle wide open and kick it, and still have to choke it everytime regardless. This guy says it has a big bore kit on it, but not sure what size. He's owned it about a year, and says it was that way when he bought it, just never did anything about it. It seems like it is something minor because like I said, it seemed to have plenty of power, I had no problem pulling the front up in 1st or 2nd gear. I just don't know much about them, and this guy doesn't know crap at all, I think it was his 1st bike.

Like I said, it's a clean bike with a few mods- piped, nice triple tree, new bars, graphics, and nice powder coated cases. I would like to get it just to have something different to ride when I get bored with my Shee, but I don't wanna waste my money. And like I said, this is the only 4 stroke bike I've ever ridin, so not quite sure how much power I should expect it to have.

Oh, and one more thing, the forks leak a little and the rear shock feels like you're on a trampoline. He says it's just adjusted to soft cause he bought it from a real little guy, but I only weigh about 165, and it felt like a po-go stick to me. So I'm thinking the shocks a gone too.

Any ideas on the starting probs??? Does this sound like a deal worth grabing or should I let this one pass?

sounds like it needs work but for $1200 I'd grab it up!

The pogp rear sounds like it is blown, but just get them redone to your wieght and riding style. The starting could be as little as jetting or as big as a new top end. But for $1200 I'd snatch it up, fix it a sell for over $3K if you decide you don't like it.

:cheers:

Did you check the plug after you couldn't get it kicked started?

If it's wet, I would guess something in the carb, it could be flooded, throttle valve stuck, dirty air cleaner or carb out of adjustment. If its looks okay kick it to see if it's getting a spark.If it isn't than, I would guess something in the ignition , it could be a bad plug, bad ignition wires,bad coil, etc.

Will it start at all kicking it,or aleast act like it wants to start?

Try a new plug and/or cleaning the carb might help.

If it has the big bore kit, it should be a 315cc, I think.

I maybe wrong, but I thought it had a compression release on it, for kick starting?

If you have no luck, pm me. I'll give it my best try to figure it out.

the rear shock shouldnt be like that, no matter how you set it. It is probally blown, and the front forks will need new seals. Its a big risk with these 4 strokes, it could just be worn or out of adjustment valves, or the top end could be shot, which isnt rare. These damn 4 strokes are expensive to fix, so watch what you get yourself into, it may cost more than you would expect to fix.

the rear shock shouldnt be like that, no matter how you set it. It is probally blown, and the front forks will need new seals. Its a big risk with these 4 strokes, it could just be worn or out of adjustment valves, or the top end could be shot, which isnt rare. These damn 4 strokes are expensive to fix, so watch what you get yourself into, it may cost more than you would expect to fix.

447694[/snapback]

Word... I'm in the process of rebuilding my crf450.. gonna cost me around 400-500$ by the time it's all said and done... just the top-end alone... Sounds like that thing is clapped out.. wont run b/c a dirty carb wich equals dirty filter which equals piss poor maintanence...

Mike

my bud races one of those, that bike will rip, the low end is sick. for that price i would snatch it up .does it have the hot start lever ? my friend broke his cable and it was hard to start

I didn't check the plug, but he said it wasn't old. It did have a decompression lever by the clutch, but I really couldn't tell a difference if I pulled it or not. It has a cold choke and a hot choke, I've never seen that before. It would kick start after I got it good and warm, just not when it was cold. But it did fire right up when push started, so I quess it's getting good spark. I didn't have real long to fool with it, so once I got it cranked I spent more time riding than checking out everything on it. But I can say this guy don't know crap about bikes and has done NO maintenance on it. So the filter could be full of dirt, along with the carb, and the plug is probably old as dirt too! I'm gonna have it checked out by a shop next week when I have some time off, even though I don't have much faith in local bike shop mechanics, they may be able to figure it out.

4 stroke race bikes dont like to start. The '01 YZ250F should have a manual de-compression lever. Here is the 4 stroke starting drill:

# Shift the transmission into neutral.

# Turn the fuel petcock to "ON" (or "RES") and fully open (i.e. pull out) the black starter knob (choke).

# Leave the throttle closed for starting. In temperatures below 41 degrees F. (5 degrees C.) only, first twist the throttle three or four times to pump some fuel into the intake tract; then close the throttle for starting.

# Slowly depress the kick start lever until you begin to feel resistance. Continue depressing the kick lever slowly until there is maximum resistance, which indicates the piston is at TDC (top-dead-center) on the compression stroke.

# Pull the decompression lever to the handlebar and hold it.

# Slowly depress the kickstart lever about 1.5 to 2" (40-50mm) more. This puts the piston just slightly past top-dead-center.

# Release the decompression lever, then allow the kick starter to return to the uppermost position.

# With the throttle completely closed and the decompression lever released, start the engine by kicking the kick starter forcefully with a firm stroke.

Do not open the throttle while kicking the kick starter.

Otherwise, the kick starter my kick back.

# Run the engine at idle or slightly higher until it warms up; this usually takes about one or two minutes. Do not warm up the engine for extended periods.

# The engine is warmed up when it responds normally to throttle with the starter knob (choke) turned off (pushed in).

4 stroke race bikes dont like to start. The '01 YZ250F should have a manual de-compression lever. Here is the 4 stroke starting drill:

# Shift the transmission into neutral.

# Turn the fuel petcock to "ON" (or "RES") and fully open (i.e. pull out) the black starter knob (choke).

# Leave the throttle closed for starting. In temperatures below 41 degrees F. (5 degrees C.) only, first twist the throttle three or four times to pump some fuel into the intake tract; then close the throttle for starting.

# Slowly depress the kick start lever until you begin to feel resistance. Continue depressing the kick lever slowly until there is maximum resistance, which indicates the piston is at TDC (top-dead-center) on the compression stroke.

# Pull the decompression lever to the handlebar and hold it.

# Slowly depress the kickstart lever about 1.5 to 2" (40-50mm) more. This puts the piston just slightly past top-dead-center.

# Release the decompression lever, then allow the kick starter to return to the uppermost position.

# With the throttle completely closed and the decompression lever released, start the engine by kicking the kick starter forcefully with a firm stroke.

Do not open the throttle while kicking the kick starter.

Otherwise, the kick starter my kick back.

# Run the engine at idle or slightly higher until it warms up; this usually takes about one or two minutes. Do not warm up the engine for extended periods.

# The engine is warmed up when it responds normally to throttle with the starter knob (choke) turned off (pushed in).

448569[/snapback]

Call me lazy but if my hybrid was that hard to start I wouldn't ride....

It could be a great bike with some work (money) put into it. Personally, I wouldn't get a 4 stroke bike without the happy button on the bars. Guy I ride with on single tracs has a 4 st where his starter isn't working, he spends too much time kicking that thing, once running it's fine. I'll stick to my little 2 st KTM, starts on 1 to 2 kicks most every time. Good luck if you buy it, Yamaha was ahead of the other Jap bikes at that time with thier 4 strokes.