whats the cause of this ?

face_off

Its hard to tell from the picture if there is detontaion because it leaves really small pits, but its obvious you have dammage from a broken piston. The question is what broke the piston. Look at the piston for small pits which will make the surface look real ruff and eroded especially around the edges. If one side is detonation the other probably will show signs of detonation too. If you dont see any evidence of detonation then it could have been several things, snagged ring on a port, crank/rod bearings getting sloppy, bore was too far out of spec, ect.

If the piston is in pieces, this question may be irrelavent, but what does the top of the blown piston look like? Does it have a large black spot on top? (The larger the black spot, the leaner your air/fuel mixture was) Does the black spot reach to the edge of the piston? If so, heat caused by the lean condition was reaching the rings/cylinder wall (cause of seizing). Does the right side carb have an air leak?? I need to go back and look at the picture, but I noticed a black streak on the head leading down from the spark plug hole. Could it be heat from a lean condition; sucking air down into the cylinder from a loose spark plug??? Never seen that before, maybe someone else has and can chime in? :confused:

Good luck.

you have dropped a crank bearing. that is all there is to it. :( it is not lean or whatever. you are chewing up rod and or crank bearingand they are bouncing off the piston. time to split the cases and put a crank in it. or you can just keep boring it and puttin in pistons until you run out of bores :)

looks like a broken piston ring to me....I just went through this with my own engine yesterday, looks like it met the same fate

Usually with a rod bearing gone the piston will hit the head and make a hell of a racket!

maybee when it was honed the edges of the port were'nt chamfered? :shrugani:

yes i think the crank has issues.pull off the jugs and clucth and stator covers. you should have no up or down play in the crank.grab the ends of the crank and lift it up and down. it should be tight. also there should be no up or down play in the rods.regardless, after all the damage from the 2 piston fialures, i am sure there is debris in the crank bearings. and yes a crank can be bad on one side and not the other,hence damaging only that 1 affected cylinder.then make sure when you redo the top end ,whoever does the boring,make sure the relieve or chamfer the portsn in the cylinders.other wise you will clip your rings on the sharp edges.

its the same as the pic of the dome only on the right side and the left piston has some carbon in the middle only.

445879[/snapback]

If that carbon patch reached the edge of the piston, that cylinder was running lean. No doubt about it ...IMHO... Ya got an airleak on the right side somewhere. :( Could be intakes, could be in the case seals.