silver lake?

ironhead

i have always wanted to ride some dunes,but isilver lake is about 6 hours away and haven't made it there yet.are there any dunes closer to pittsburgh?do u realy need to have spark aresters or can u get away with out them?i really dont feal like bying some new silencers for a weekend.

i have always wanted to ride some dunes,but isilver lake is about 6 hours away and haven't made it there yet.are there any dunes closer to pittsburgh?do u realy need to have spark aresters or can u get away with out them?i really dont feal like bying some new silencers for a weekend.

444560[/snapback]

You do not need to buy new pipes. Just buy a set of sparkys, slip on spark arreseters. You know all that sand out there is highly flammable.

Yea u need Spark arrestors, but the travel time would be worth it to come to Michigan, Silver Lake is fun on memorial, 4th and laborday weekends cuz u see some crazy shit go down.... :cheers: Sand is the best way to ride :headbang:

446935[/snapback]

[/quot

can u camp on the lake edge?because i wanted to bring some jet skis,so i can rid sand, water and party at the lake! how scrict are they there about spark arresters? im trying to plane a trip for next summer! thanks :cheers:

the state park has water front spots and more spots across the street, as far as spark aresters are concerned, I just slip mine on while the bike is in the back of the truck, then when I get in the dunes I pull them off and ride it all day without a problem. my friends and I have done this for years no tickets yet. just dont draw attention to your self around the dnr rangers and you will be fine. let me know when you plan on headig out this way and I my have to take a trip up and show ya around, its only about 2.5 hrs from my place.

Edited by badassbanshee479

• 2 weeks later...

you can get in without sparkys, you just gotta be creative. if you have truck it's easier. but then you need flags, orv stickers, and state park passes for the truck and the quad.

silver lake is a riot though. we were there opening week last year. had all 2 thousand acres to ourselves. smoothest sand you've ever seen. holiday weekends it's pure hillbilly mayhem.

if you watch ebay you can usually find sparkys pretty cheap.

Edited by 1000dollabill

• 1 month later...

well i just booked a cotage for august 26th thru the 2nd of sep! its right down the street from the entrence. I was woundering were do i get the orv stickers from (can i get them up there ,or should i mail for them now ? what other registrations will i need? plus im bring some jet skis ,do any of u know what i need for them ? thanks for the info ! :cheers:

the state park has water front spots and more spots across the street, as far as spark aresters are concerned, I just slip mine on while the bike is in the back of the truck, then when I get in the dunes I pull them off and ride it all day without a problem. my friends and I have done this for years no tickets yet. just dont draw attention to your self around the dnr rangers and you will be fine. let me know when you plan on headig out this way and I my have to take a trip up and show ya around, its only about 2.5 hrs from my place.

447191[/snapback]

:dance: ive always heard you cant camp inside park ? are you saying lake front spots are in the riding area ? like ok im riding take off and go or what not sure ? are there any big hills there for racing ....any bowls ? wouldnt mind trying the place out :headbang:

:dance: ive always heard you cant camp inside park ? are you saying lake front spots are in the riding area ? like ok im riding take off and go or what not sure ? are there any big hills there for racing ....any bowls ? wouldnt mind trying the place out  :headbang:

475240[/snapback]

You can't camp inside the riding area. The state park that some one was refering to is the state campground. They have waterfront spots I hear, but I've never been. If you were to bring jet skis, you would have to leave the dune area/parking lot to go ride them.

You will need spark arrestors, ORV stickers, flags, and State park passes. You need ORV, flags, and state park for everything that will be going into the riding area (quad, truck, etc.). You need a state park pass for the truck that you park in the lot as well. The park passes come daily or annually. Depending on the weekend, you might need to go the night before to get a parking lot voucher if you wanna get into the lot the next day. You get the voucher and buy permits and such the night before, then its easy access the next morning. All of this info is on the Michigan DNR website, so check it out before you come.

The hills are decent sized in my opinion, but I haven't ridden any other dunes, so my opinion doesn't weigh much. On the holiday weekends, it will be packed wall to wall, but other weekends it isn't too bad.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but I think that I'm solid on it. It is great fun. :headbang:

You pretty much nailed it on the head!! Definitly is crazy on busy weekends. Me and my friend have a place 2 miles from the dune entrance and always make it up there a few times during the spring and summer!!