Overides?

DemonShee

From my understanding, it's not the gears that get cut besides the normal removing of every other cog on the side of them. It is the shift drum that gets cut. I've never seen one, but I'm guessing that however they cut the drum, it allows for gear changes with full power applied. I don't really see how you could cut the gears besides the sides of them.

Just guessing here, I've never seen one up close.

From my understanding, it's not the gears that get cut besides the normal removing of every other cog on the side of them.  It is the shift drum that gets cut.  I've never seen one, but I'm guessing that however they cut the drum, it allows for gear changes with full power applied.  I don't really see how you could cut the gears besides the sides of them.

Just guessing here, I've never seen one up close.

437611[/snapback]

I'll see if I can elaborate here. I've seen the insides in pictures but not up close, but its really quite simple.....

The drive dogs on the gears are ramped so when you engage the faces, the gears will ramp, then the flat faces will push together. The shift drums are also cut away to allow one shift fork to move the drive dog, and allow the current engaged shift fork to be pushed out of the way by the unramping of the currently engaged gears.

This happens when a higher gear is selected. Your transmission is actually in 2 gears at once for a split second, but because some gears float on the counter shaft, and others are locked on the splines, as the other gear spins the countershaft faster, the slower engaged gears are forced apart by the ramps. It all depends on what side the pressure is on...the driver or the driven side.

If I can find a good picture my library of Sand Sports magazines I'll scan it and post it here.

The major draw back is when you let off the gas without pulling in the clutch....the driven gear puts the pressure against the driver gear and tries to ramp out, but the shift drum hasn't been rotated to a point where there is clearance for that particular fork to disengage. What happens is that set of gears trying to force apart under tremendous force BENDS your shift fork. Then you spend the rest of the weekend drinking beer.

dave moore racing makes a 2-4 dunable over ride that can be riden normal and shifted like a over ride. there is a guy on ebay that has been offering them in any style gear over ride style, 1-5, 2-4, 2-5, etc...

http://www.davemooreracing.com/trans_mods.html

here is a link to dave moores site hope this helps

also I found the item number to the over ride on ebay

4591238737 type it in the search bar in ebay and check it out.

good luck