Replacement Ball Joints for Janssen Racing A-arms

mat

I ran into a couple of trees during the GNCC Ironman race last weekend and need to replace three of my ball joints on my A-arms. I have the cheaper Janssen A-arms that use automotive style tie rod ends for the ball joints. (I know, I should have gotten Heims banghead ). Anyway, Janssen doesn't have any replacement parts and they can't even tell me what to buy from my local automotive shop. All that Janssen can tell me is that they are used on old Volkswagon Transporters. I ordered a tie rod end from a 1960 VW Transporter, but it didn't work, the taper was too small.

Does anybody know a part number or exactly what vehicle and year the tie rod ends came from?

Thanks - Matt

wait am I reading correctly..jansen doesnt sell replacement balljoints for their arms and doesnt even know what they are?

430840[/snapback]

After doing some research, the parts manager said that he can have a set to send out on Wednesday. But he still doesn't know what they are and can't give me any information that will help me find them locally. He wants $38 a piece :whoa: ! I'm not willing to pay this for tie rod ends, expecially since I have to replace three of them. I'm pretty pissed about the whole situation. :angry: I missed a race yesterday since my Banshee is sitting in pieces in the garage.

I can get you replacement ball joints for those arms.

431510[/snapback]

I had to ream my spindles to make the original ball joints in the Janssen Arms work. Will yours fit my reamed spindles, or do I have to get another pair of spindles?

Please send me a PM with pricing and contact details.

I ordered another tie rod end from a different year VW. It is supposed to be in tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll get in touch with you.

I don't think Janssen is try to screw anyone over. I just don't think they operate very professionally. The parts manager is new and just doesn't really know what is going on. I had some trouble with Janssen when I ordered my A-arms and had my spindles reamed. I never got the feeling that they were trying to take advantage of me. I just think that they are a small shop that is unorganized and isn't run very well. I am happy with the quality of the A-arms, just not the way that they run their business. If the latest ball joint that I ordered doesn't work and sanddragon can't help me out, I will be placing a call to Joel, the owner at Janssen.

As a side note: I'm thinking of getting a set of +1, +1 a-arms for GNCC racing, since I had so much trouble fitting between the trees at the last race. If I do buy a set, I probably won't get them from Janssen. If fact, I will probably get a set that have the ball joints built into the A-arms instead of ones that use tie rod ends or heim joints to mount to the spindles.

Hi this is Joel from Janssen Motorsports. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. Our heim joint retail for 40 and our ball joints retail at 20. If you have any questions feel free to call Joel Janssen or Cory Gauthier. 1-920-766-3411

We are in the process of training a new parts assistant adn it may have been his confusion but that is not an excuse. Thanks for your understanding.

Hi this is Joel from Janssen Motorsports. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. Our heim joint retail for 40 and our ball joints retail at 20. If you have any questions feel free to call Joel Janssen or Cory Gauthier. 1-920-766-3411

We are in the process of training a new parts assistant adn it may have been his confusion but that is not an excuse. Thanks for your understanding.

432349[/snapback]

its nice to know that theirs good customer service at Janssen racing, I have their A-arms and swingarm on my banshee.

Joel Im a big Chris Jenks fan now that he's using Janssen parts. For those that don't know Jenks, he races in the Pro class in the GNCC series, he races for Mickey Dunlap's FourStroke Tech team and FST uses Janssen suspension on all thier race quads. Chris Jenks finished this years GNCC season in 4th place overall, behind Yokley, Borich and Bill Ballance. I got all real good look at Jenks quad and his Janssen Outlaw arms were really nice. They looked extra heavy duty and that big crossmember peice on the lower A-arms are impressive. Those Orange FST quads look great.

JJ, I went to the Maxxis 12 hour race this past weekend and seen a Janssen Motorsports team was racing. I think they raced the B class and Im positive they got on the podium. I knew thier race number was #69, but I couldnt find thier pit. I was lookin for Mr.Janssen himself :D

Edited by Meat

From rickystator site.

We are so proud of our full Ball Joints!

There is a lot of talk about them but here are some of the facts for your review.

A - Is Ricky Stator's full ball joint which has the most degrees of angle movement of all except the MOOG es2074 © which is the same.

It has a 16mm threaded shaft and is essentially a copy of the TRX250R as far as the stud and socket is concerned. The ball has a lot of contact with the socket making for a more distributed load which results in better wear characteristics.

Our ball joints have been tested in every long distance race and has won them all.

B - Is the OEM Honda from a TRX250R.

C - Is the MOOG tie-rod end from a Mazda truck. Probably used by a bazillion fabricators for at least 15 years with good success. Unfortunately it is a tie-rod end that requires greasing since it is metal to metal and has the spring (that occasionally breaks) for shock absorbing - good in tie-rod applications but not for ball joints. The threaded shaft is not always threaded straight and even also.

D - Is the VW transporter tie-rod end. It has a 14 mm shank which we feel is too small (bet the guy that wrecked this one feels the same). Notice since it is a tie-rod end it has the spring also. This type has been used for years since the stud fits into the Honda spindle without machining.

E - Is the "Italian" made so called ball joint. This is a typical auto tie-rod end as you can see.

To order parts from Ricky Stator call:

760-787-0094

Dawarrior man, what the heck happened to the a arms in your avatar????

got a bigger pic?

432373[/snapback]

A tree happened to them. I'd just bought the banshee used, and the guy had a twist on it. Well, I came around a turn, hit a bump in the trail, and it popped the front end up in the air, made me slide back on the seat, and as a result, I opened the throttle all the way. Half a second later, there was the tree. Happened so quick I didn't have any time to react. IMO, twists should stay on a bike, and quads should have thumb throttles. Anyways, heres the other pics I have of it.

http://people.clemson.edu/~pparson/wreck002.jpg

http://people.clemson.edu/~pparson/wreck003.jpg

http://people.clemson.edu/~pparson/wreck004.jpg

432349[/snapback]

I called Cory and placed an order for 6 (I figured I would need spares since my banshee has been really attracted to trees lately) for $20 a piece. They should be on my door step mid next week and I'll be riding again. :)

Thanks.