BREAK IN PERIOD

ozosborne

From being on other boards this seems to be a pretty controversial topic. I like this article and site http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm I don't know if anyone has ever posted it or read it but its pretty good and makes pretty good sense. Just food for thought :cheers:

Nevermind I just realized his principles are related to 4 stroke engines. But hey its good reading anyway. My bad :notworthy:

Edited by Bigvincent

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after 40 hours yer spose to put pistons and wrings in it.....i say after a tank of 24:1 mix it 40 or 50:1 and light that son of a bitch up........

422474[/snapback]

new pistons and rings after 40 hours.,.?!?!?!? ive never heard of that before....?

422970[/snapback]

WTF! :whoa: Sounds a bit extreme! :unsure:

WTF! :whoa:  Sounds a bit extreme! :unsure:

423051[/snapback]

You know what sounds really extreme, I was at the dealers looking at a banshee just for kicks. Guy told my dad and I ever 10 hours it should have a rebuild! :shootself:

i check my compression and after 40-50 hours ive dropped 10 psi, so i rebuild.....pros put pistons and rings in before each race on a 2 cycle.....40 hours of riding is a long goddamm time on a 2 cycle....im going to go ahead and start a topic in the general discussion and ask "how many hours before you put rings on your shee"...........

10, 20, 40 hours are you f**king kidding?  i had at least 200+ on my stock top end when i rebuilt it, and it still pulled hard when it took it apart.  but what do i know i just ride it, right? :confused:

have a good time on the new shee, rip it up!!! :headbang:

423213[/snapback]

200 hours on a 2 cycle engine and its a sloppy rattle trap.......did i say rebuild the top end after youve riddin the thing into the ground? just cause its running doesnt mean the rings arnt sloppy...it would take you 5 f**kin years to log 200 hours on that f**kin banshee, unless of course you ride a Banshee for a living, and if that was the case youd have a guy rebuild it after every race.........

All you need to do is heat cycle the rings properly as heat is the primary cause of seating the rings. Thus several idle heat cycles then a couple of easy rides to let the motor build more heat than it will with a short idle. After that you should be fine to rip if all other variables of the engine are correct.

oh and please lets not say you loaded up on friday night and went to the dunes, and came back sunday and you burned 5 gallons of gas so you got 48 hours on your bike........to ride a 45 minute moto on stock jugs you burn 2.5 gallons of gas, the whole damm tank if your ported, and your pinned the whole time.......so lets say you held it wide open for 40 hours you went through......... umm .... someone here goes through 130 gallons of gas and thinks its a joke to rebuild after that???????????...........like i said 40 hours of riding is a long time.........not driving to the riding area or bbqing or drinking but hours spent on the bike preferably with the throttle twised not putting around......100 gallons of fuel and you got a sloppy ass top end..........

sorry blue but i think you are mistaken. you can log that many hours on a shee if it taken care of. figure 5 hours a month for 5 years and you have 300 hours. so, no you dont have to ride it into the ground to log that many hours. oh yeah mine is a 2000 had it had about 100 psi in each cylinder when it redid the top end. so in conclusion i think your going crazy rebuilding that thing that soon, or you just ride harder than i do. :confused:

Holy hell how come I didn't read this one before. I'm with Duece on the compression tester thing, keep an eye on your compression. I rebuilt when mine was just under 120psi and I wouldn't go much lower. I'm running 180 now. I'll keep an eye on it and if I get down to 162psi which is a 10% loss it's time to open her up and take a look. Also maintain the cylinders within 10% of each other if one drops you are inducing alot of stress in the engine components to compensate. It's independent of time 40hrs, 60hrs whatever base it on your performance and compression everybody rides different your little brother would probably wear it out before your grandma. I've always figured about 50hrs but since I don't run an hour meter anymore I have no way to judge that unless I wrote it down after every ride.

By the way 200hrs at 6000rpm average is like 72 million revolutions of the crank that's an awful lot of times for a piston to rub on the cylinder, 72 million rubs on most things and you won't have the thing left to rub.

By the way 200hrs at 6000rpm average is like 72 million revolutions of the crank that's an awful lot of times for a piston to rub on the cylinder, 72 million rubs on most things and you won't have the thing left to rub.

423588[/snapback]

That's a great way to put it into perspective!!!! :clap:

Yeah, a top end could last you 100 hrs if you baby your banshee all the time. But if you ride it hard, I wouldn't expect a top end to last more than 50-60 hours. I'm not saying that you'd have to go through all the trouble of having the jugs bored and replacing the pistons, but definitely needs to be re-ringed....which is all deuce is trying to point out :cheers: