Quicksand A-arm Install

For those of you with quicksand A-arms how do you like them and how hard were they to install? What tools do I need to adjust them correctly?

I'm having a hard time choosing between the quicksand and pro-comps because I can get the pro-comps from alba cheaper and they appear to be much easier to install since theres no castor adjustments...I guess that can be a good thing since it only leaves Camber to be adjusted and it can be done with the A-arms installed.

But I like the look of the Quicksands much better I'm jsut afraid I might not be able to get them adjusted properly.

this is the procomps

http://alba.buyol.com/Item/ALBBAN21.htm

pretty damn simple if u ask me..i never did anything with the castor adjustment...

415659[/snapback]

Same here. Mine bolted right up, didnt need to adjust anything. If i had to do it over again, I would definatly buy from Gary a second time :dance:

They are a piece of cake to adjust (Great Design). You will only need a set Allen wrenched and some standard wrenches. I did have to adjust my camber; not sure if my spindle is a little bent or my frame. The quicksand a-arms allowed me to adjust until the camber was set. (I will be looking into the problem with the bend later).

Problems: Because I did adjust my camber out a little on the left side (About a half inch) I ended up bending the hemi joint threads a little (By the way, anyone know where I can get a new one?).

Also, Gary is a busy guy; he only does this in his spare time (I believe). He told me he would have the part to me in two weeks and it took over 60 days. I can certainly understand the delay, but the part I had a problem with is his communication, he would not return my phone or e-mail messages. He did get back to me via PM 2 times during that 2 month, but only to tell me that I would see them on a certain day, which would come and go without delivery.

Bottom line for me; I think he makes a great product, but the customer service (communication) was lacking.

But don't I need something to measure the angles for the camber?

The Pro-Comps ca be adjusted while installed on the bike (Nut on the Balljoint on the inside of the A-arm).

They already have the castor set also.

(although this can be adjusted while installed with the quicksands it will throw off the camber)

i didnt use any special tools. i adjust my camber so that the top of the tire is leaning in about 3/8 inch...thats it..no special tools required...i NEVER have touched the castor...

So I need some kinda tools to make sure everything is lined up correctly right?  Where as with the Pro-Comps they are pretty much just more bolt up and have nice Balljoints instead of Heimes?

like what?? an alignment machine?? its a quad not a car...string line and tape measure will tell it all...

(I keep going back and fourth between balljoint and Heim and keep ending up back with the balljoints since they are sealed)  Fact is a non-sealed Heim joint will eventualy be worn down by the sand...

been runnin mine now for a long time no issues with the heims..been in sand, mud dirt with no problems...

I know the procomps are mass produced, this probably keeps the cost down, but I don't think it makes them junk.  They also have lifetime warranty.
id never buy from alba, but thats just me..my brother bent his a arm at a hillclimb and gary sent him a new one 2 days later...

Garys are better quality but I have been told they are ging to be hell to install because of having so many adjustments.

415789[/snapback]

how many ppl have told u now they are simple to install?? what answer u looking for??

Here's my take, I prefer more adjustability if I have the choice, unless the arms in question are already desinged with the alignment setting I'm after built in. Justin, caster (the spindles inclination for or aft from a true vertical axis) can be adjusted with a "smart" level or a hand held caster/camber guage ( I realize not all of us hav one, but it is an option) Fact is positive caster ( top of spindle leaned towards the rear of the quad) makes for more stable and precise steering in high speed situations, when paired with some negative camber ( spindle top leaned in towards the steering stem) will increase the tires contact patch with the terrain and provide better handling than a set up with no positive caster / negative camber. Again just my take on things (open up any ATv mag and look at a properly set up MX quad). Don't let the outward appearance of Gary's arms intimidate you, with the propper tools, careful attention to detail and a few hours you can install them with no trouble, hell drive up to my neck of the woods and I'll give you a hand.

They are a piece of cake to adjust (Great Design). You will only need a set Allen wrenched and some standard wrenches. I did have to adjust my camber; not sure if my spindle is a little bent or my frame. The quicksand a-arms allowed me to adjust until the camber was set. (I will be looking into the problem with the bend later).

Problems: Because I did adjust my camber out a little on the left side (About a half inch) I ended up bending the hemi joint threads a little (By the way, anyone know where I can get a new one?).

Also, Gary is a busy guy; he only does this in his spare time (I believe). He told me he would have the part to me in two weeks and it took over 60 days. I can certainly understand the delay, but the part I had a problem with is his communication, he would not return my phone or e-mail messages. He did get back to me via PM 2 times during that 2 month, but only to tell me that I would see them on a certain day, which would come and go without delivery.

Bottom line for me; I think he makes a great product, but the customer service (communication) was lacking.

415743[/snapback]

Pretty much same issues here..I got lucky and got them in about 3-4 weeks...Was told about 2, but thats fine. Also, I temporarily lost one of the small rods, and gary was going to ship it out next day to me. Never received it. Luckily 2 weeks later I finally found it. But no reply or part ever came through.

But the quality is GREAT......So far no issues with them, and install was pretty straight forward. There is LOTS of adjustability, and he includes basic directions that make it pretty simple. I also called him while setting them up and he gladly answered a few install questions!!

Would I buy from him again? As long as the parts would be shipped out in time, DEFINATELY!!!. :dance:

It isnt hard to adjust the arms at all. I never touched the castor and the camber only took alittle work. The procomps will probably take less work, but the quicksands arnt too much more work.

Gary was hard to reach for a couple months in the spring, but recently I have had no trouble getting ahold of him. He had said he was buried in some orders, but things are back to normal again.

The quicksand will be a better quality arm, lifetime waranty against anything, and capable of some nice fine tuning. If you dont go nuts and hammer on stuff and are just looking for alittle more stability and less cost then the procomps may be better, butif you are aggressive at all, Id like the assurance that I have strong arm that if i bend i can replace for free. And I think quicksand can make arms with ball joints

I just wanted to add that Gary has to be the best person I have ever dealt with.I have a bad habit of talking people's ears off and asking a million ?'s, well Gary never cut me short and really knows his stuff. I think he is an aircraft engineer but anyways I received the arms and at first I was a little nervous since it was my first install but it was easy(except the upper arm I wasn't sure if I had it on the right side but on his site there is some good close-up shots of Banshees w/ the arms installed) and they have held up thru some brutal abuse from jumps to trails. even the powder coating has held up strong so far. I was so happy that I went back to Gary and ordered a swing arm. He was very busy and so were the p/c shop but we kept in touch and after maybe a month more than expected I received the swinger and I tell you, once you have one of his products in your hand you will forget about any delays if there were any.

Also, i love the adjust-ability but use some (blue) lock-tite cause they will try to work themselves a bit loose.

You can purchase Heim Joints HERE

I dunno what size Gary uses so just do a search for part # 60645K13 and it should bring up a list of a bunch of em.

416013[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. I would have thought Gary would have come on here and sold me one, by now...Oh well, he is a busy guy.

Edited by Redlined

Gary makes great stuff, he uses High quality Aircraft grade Heimes not cheapo ones that ar emore prone to breaking. I like my QS Swingarm as well the chrome job on it looks great. Not sure if it is tripple dipped or what but the finish is perfect.

This time around I think I will be going with custom creations A-arms, they have an amazing Heime-Joint Style Ends. I'm not sure what they are called but it look WAY Stronger than a heim join does and felt VERY solid when I had them in my hands at the sand show. What I liked here is that they appear to also be great quality compared to pro-comps and come with a joint superior to Heimes they also come with Tierods with a billet housing that look trick. I also like the fact that they were adjustable while installed on the bike and don't need to be removed to make the adjustments.

I want to thank Gary for all his help though and would definately recomend his products to people on the HQ. He is a buisy guy though but welds don't get better than his, and he dosent use some $5 or $10 Joints on his parts either.