Leak Down Testing

RNBRAD

I stand corrected. And to prove how wrong I was here's a pic of the "seal" between the 2 cylinders. It is cast aluminum or pot metal and it simply has grooves in it. I guess the turbulence around these grooves slows things down more than just having a smoothe bushing in between. I really wonder why there is not a seal in there. Wouldn't it give better flow into the cylinder if this was able to be completely pressurized? Although from a maintenance standpoint, if you had one go bad, it would be really pricey to fix. But then again if it leaks a little over time so what. It leaks as it is right now from the factory. What if you ran a single seal bearing and you had the seals face the center? That would probably work pretty well. I don't know... just thinking out loud.

Edited by Holyman

Yea I guess it could be sealed on the inner side of those inner bearings to possibly seal between the two sides. I don't think it would be good to fully seal those inner bearing though as they would have no constant lubrication. Even if totally sealed in grease, I wonder how long they would last at high rpms and less heat dissipation. Good pics btw.

EDIT: Also as for case pressure I think there is very little info on what is actually going on and probably only the manufacturers realize their is minimal if any loss or basically not worth the hassle worrying about a perfect seal between the 2 sides. From my understanding is that crank case pressures are pretty low and fluctuate rapidly ,of course, from a negative to a postivie pressure. I guess if one side pulls from another, it's still an oil gas mix and their shouldn't be any ill affects if it's just a couple ml of volume, even if that.

Hey Brad , It will hold pressure better when you get your spark plugs in
Isn't that the truth and I forgot to mention that in the instructions, you know someone will be squirting the hell out of the motor to find that huge ass leak. :lol:

Brad I hear lightened flywheels are junk, why do you have one???

410868[/snapback]

Excellent for dunes, that's all I ride. I don't need momentum, if I'm off the gas then I must be on the brakes. :D

did anyone other than me notice that even RNBRAD's shop stool is fuckin blinged out in stainless? the dude's got style
lol, it might look good but it's hard on my ass.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Yeah not fully sealed, that would be a disaster. Just single seal and have the seal on the side where the existing "seal" is. Might help it do it's job alot better.

Anyway... does anyone have a crank for sale, seems I need one about now :cry::jesterlaugh:

Holyman.

I have just tore down my engine to build a stroker. I have a good crank that is stock stroke. Trued and welded. 1.53mm small end play on one side and 1.56mm on the other. 0.55mm distance on the large end. Don't know what the shaft run out is due to lack of a dial indicator.

Was going to build another motor with it and sell it on ebay but would part out the things I have if it worked better for me. Make me an offer.

SP

Holyman.

I have just tore down my engine to build a stroker. I have a good crank that is stock stroke. Trued and welded. 1.53mm small end play on one side and 1.56mm on the other. 0.55mm distance on the large end. Don't know what the shaft run out is due to lack of a dial indicator.

Was going to build another motor with it and sell it on ebay but would part out the things I have if it worked better for me. Make me an offer.

SP

check out the date on that post :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...