keep fouling plugs,can't find out why

my 97 shee keeps fouling plugs,i run for 20 minutes and everything is great then when i go to get on it,it sputters on the top end,(22hp loose on the dyno)i spent all weekend in pismo trying different things.i start 350 mains,worked up to 370 and then down to 330's,nothing helps ,but everytime i change plugs it would run great for 15 - 20 minutes,i changed plugs after every rejet.but the plugs i was pulling out all looked like they should work.not wet or overly carboned.so i changed my fuel ratio to 40-1,no help, so finally went to a hotter plug(br7es)thinking i might have a weak spark,well this helped alittle bit,i was able to run for about an hour and a half befor the plugs went bad.i'm pretty good with jetting and reading plugs,so i've pretty much eliminated that.any help would be great. :evil::evil:

Edited by DIABLO BANSHEE

sounds like it is to rich, first make sure filters are clean. I would replace spark plug caps before stator. usually wires would effect one side or other. do both plugs foul or just one side?? if one side try switching wires around and see if any change, if so then might need to repace coil if new caps don't do the trick. Depending what throatle opening your fouling at you may need to check the needle jets or try dropping the needle one or two notches. That did the trick for me after a new top end. It ran perfect before then redid the top end and kept fouling around 3/4 throatle.. I would not go to hotter plug, especiallly at pismo, you may overheat before you know what happened. 8's are as hot as you should go. A weal spark could be the problem but I would try everything else before stator or cdi. good luck and keep us posted

Ray

sounds like it is to  rich, first make sure filters are clean. I would replace spark plug caps before stator. usually wires would effect one side or other. do both plugs foul or just one side?? if one side try switching wires around and see if any change, if so then might need to repace coil if new caps don't do the trick. Depending what throatle opening your fouling at you may need to check the needle jets or try dropping the needle one or two notches. That did the trick for me after a new top end. It ran perfect before then redid the top end and kept fouling around 3/4 throatle..  I would not go to hotter plug, especiallly at pismo, you may overheat before you know what happened. 8's are as hot as you should go.  A weal spark could be the problem but I would try everything else before stator or cdi. good luck and keep us posted

Ray

406780[/snapback]

it was the spark plug caps,i do run 8's but putting 7's in was part of troubleshooting the problem.the old caps were rusted and corroded inside,i put new ones in and no problem. :evil::evil: