Broken Footpeg Bolt..... what now?

sg30721

i think the foot peg bolts are m10, if i were you i would buy an m10 tap and try to clean up what is there. but i am not you so i don't know the extent of the damage. if it is really bad, the drill it out and tap it to m12, buy a helicoil and put that in the m12 hole which will give you back the m10 threads, make sure you use a thread lock on the helicoil, i like loctite 680(green) for such a repair, if you need drill sizes or something like that let me know. but that is a way better fix than welding something in there. good luck

and if you need some advice on anything else let me know. i work as a maintenance tech and have full use and :ph34r: knowledge of the machine shop so i deal with this type of repairs all the time. they let me sneak in my custom atv work when no one is looking :ph34r:

Edited by pimpeinkc

I havent ever installed a heli coil during all my years of riding.... you were saying to add threadlock to the coil? Are you talking about putting the threadlock on the coil before screwing it in to the new tapped hole or do I put the threadlock on the bolt going into the new heli coil?

Thanks for the help

i think the foot peg bolts are m10, if i were you i would buy an m10 tap and try to clean up what is there. but i am not you so i don't know the extent of the damage. if it is really bad, the drill it out and tap it to m12, buy a helicoil and put that in the m12 hole which will give you back the m10 threads,

Whenever you are going to use a thread insert style like the helicoil you need to use an STI (standard thread insert) tap otherwise it will not work. It is not a regular m12 tap. it has to be an M10 STI.

Go buy the kit it comes with the drill bit, tap and 10 inserts. Usually costs around $45 for a high quality kit. Just like speed parts you get what you pay for.

After you get it you can charge your buddies a 6 pack :cheers: to fix their stuff. Extra inserts are very cheap too.

What have any of you guys paid a shop to get repairs like this?

Funny thing is even with a broken easy out it is only maybe 30 minutes labor and at most $ 0.45 part.

add thread locker to the insert before insertion.

Edited by Toybreaker

• 1 month later...

What a lot of you don't understand is that the factory welded a nut to the inside of the frame as they welded the frame together. So as you drill that nut out and go larger, your making the nut very shallow and thin...although it might work for awhile, but eventually the weld inside the frame will let go and the nut will be floating around inside the frame...might as well just grind the face of the frame off ( appox. 1 1/2" diameter). Grab a thick washer, weld a larger nut or same size nut to it, then weld the washer back onto the frame w/ the nut on the inside. It'll look like stock. Just remember, if you go w/ a larger nut, you'll have to drill the foot peg holes larger....I did both sides on my quad. Nothing sucks more than coming down from a jump and losing your foot under the rear tire. Takes me about 15 minutes to do mine....

I agree. I tried to tap mine for the next larger size and the nut broke loose. I was stuck with a tap that I couldnt remove because the insert would just spin in the hole. I drilled through the frame and removed the nut and tap and then welded a grade 8 - 1/2" nut in its place. You will have to drill the holes in your footpegs a little larger for the 1/2" bolts, but you will not have to cap the frame with washers because the nut will fill the hole. Install some new 1" long grade 8 1/2" bolts and you will never have to worry about loose pegs again! Total cost about $12.00 for the bolts and a couple of beers for the welder. BTW True Value carries hardened bolts.

Personally I would not use a heli coil unless you ride sitting down. There is only about 2 complete turns of thread in the stock nut - that is why they strip out so easily!