gas mileage sucks

My dad has the same setup and races XC. The last race the laps were between 8-9 miles each and he did 4 laps. I pitted him at the end of lap 2 since he had a healthy lead with about a gallon of fuel. By the time he finished he still had about a half gallon or so in the tank. So I figure he used about 3.5 gallons of fuel during the race. Didnt think that was too bad considering the conditions. Each lap averagin about 25 min+ or so. Plus he has a heavy thumb ya know! :bolt:

Put it this way.....when I was down at hatfield-McCoy I was following around 400ex's with a 5 gallon tank and rode in 4th and 5th gear the whole day basically. If I was giving it 1/3 throttle I was giving it to much. I rode out of powerband basically the whole time I was down there.....except one day.

One day we blazed up the trails (my buddy on his 250R and me) He burnt 3 gallons and I burned 5 gallons in 1 1/2 hours....compared to the 3-4 gallons in 5 hours of riding

My shee (see mods in signature) uses 1 gallon per hr when riding hard (lots of WOT) in the sand. That is pretty typical for a ported shee with bigger duel carbs from what I have gathered. I recently had a trip to the OR dunes where I used 17 gallons of fuel in 3 days over approx 19 hrs of ridding (some trail riding increased the gph). My YFZ 450 uses almost exactly half of the amout of gas that the banshee does. Its hard to compare milage as far as MPG with other banshees because different terrain will vary your MPG way too much to compare, but for GPH if you are riding hard and doing a lot of WOT then you shouldn't be going over 1 gal per Hr and definitly not with your settup. If your fouling plugs then you have some sort of problem with too much fuel getting into the cylinder, if its not jeting then its probably the floats in the bowl are not shutting fuel off correctly and the bowels are over flowing and the fuel is being sucked into your motor. I rode my current settup with way too rich of needles when I was breaking it in and getting hadn't yet got the jetting correct and it did lower my milage a lot from what it is now but it still wasn't bad enough to foul plugs. I know I have done some pretty gnarly trail riding not too long ago with about a 20+ mile round trip and didn't hit the reserve.

Thanks for the replies all. I think the comment about the floats not being set right may have been right on. I noticed that the floats would "bottom "out on on the top of the carb at just about the same time the spring loaded plunger on the needle was about 1/3rd of the way down. If that thing was bouncing around at all I'm sure the fuel level would be too high in the bowl. I'll dial that in and rejet when I get back up to Michigan in the end of July. I'm in NC now. 1000 miles away.Thanks again for the info from everyone it's really good to have alot of opinions on stuff like this.