Racelogic Porting Templates

Awhile back I posted about doing your own porting. I asked a few questions and got some helpful advice and also some people telling me that I was not smart for wanting to alter my ports on my own. Most of the replies I got were to the effect of pay this shop or that guy some $400 - $700 to port my engine. I am fairly versed at working on my bike although I hadn't really worked on one until I bought my bike last winter. Since then I have installed V-Force Reeds, K&N's, Lightened Flywheel, Gears and Coolhead. I had also polished my exhaust and cleaned up my ports. I did all this stuff myself and I didn't want to pay to do my porting. After I had posted about porting Racelogic contacted me and I decided to get some of their Stage 2 porting templates for a Banshee. I pulled it down and ported it with a pneumatic dremel style tool according to the templates. After I did this I beadblasted the intake and transfers then went back together with it. I ride at sand mountain here in Utah and although I have never clocked speed on the mountain I went from running a strong 3rd gear to running 4th up the face. The powerband on the bike is smooth all the way through not abrupt like I have seen on some port jobs. And John Calwell the gentleman from Racelogic was awesome to work with. I received the templates within 2 days of ordering them and I definately recommend that if you are somewhat handy, pretty patient and want to save some money for a port job that you call racelogic.

DCBLACK

I too used racelogic templates and I was very impressed.I took my time over a weekend porting my jugs.I will never pay for portwork again.I did two sets of jugs.One got the transfers done,and one didn't.Two totally different powerbands.I'm working on another set,but I'm changing the portmapping a bit to taylor the powerband.

Most definitely worth the 50 bucks I payed for a used set.If your dexterity is very good and you have good attention for detail,its not hard to get good results.

I dont want to see stage 3. I want to see companys get it right the first time.Just like Toomey, how many T pipes are they going to produce.

372233[/snapback]

The name of the game is money.

If you have nothing to better your self with, pretty soon everyone will have what you make and no one will be buying. If you can come up with something a notch better, most people will ditch what they have and buy new.

Its a marketing strategy that nearly everyone that has a product uses.

Those Racelogic templates produce as advertized. They were the most rewarding mod I have done yet. Not only do you finally get to dig into the motor and see what makes her tick, you start to visualize 2-stroke operating principals.

I read mac dizzy before I ported,(kinda dry) then I revisited the site after I had done my first jug. Very cool to relate to such a technical read.(in a very small way)

You can search for them on ebay they have the price lower on there for a limited amount of time. Anyway, I wish I had taken some pictures but I didn't I was too excited to get the bike back together. I am planning on pulling it back down to port my transfers down at the case and match that all up. Maybe then I will get some pictures. I think they looked really close to a professional job; of course I'm sure that with some better tools I could have had it done quicker. For instance, hand polishing the exhaust was pretty rough. It cut up my hands and gave me blisters. As for dyno results, I don't have any access to a dyno so I don't have any numbers for you. I'll tell you it runs really good for a duner bike. Also, my favorite part of porting my own bike was that I got to learn all about what different things did, I went slow I had my jugs off a total of 4 times moving and changing ports a bit untill I had the result I wanted. I have to admit my ports are slightly different than their template but it was a great starting point. If your gonna dive into porting your jugs buy them so you at least have an idea of where to start. I know that I could go a lot bigger but the front end pops clear into fourth so until I extend the bike it is fast enough.

Need to update my sig apparently

Edited by DCBLACK

I just had mine done and i absolutely love it!!!

Its been done for a while but when i started gettin on it i noticed something was wrong, then my dad rode it and said the clutch was slipping, and there was a clicking noise in the case. We pull it apart to change the clutch and 2 of the friction plates had shattered. So it must have some power!! We got the new one in and i took it for a test ride... :bolt::D

What kind of jetting/tuning did you have to do after you used the templates? How many sizes did you gain in the mains?

Oh, are you guys still using stock carbs or not?

Edited by Stinger