R Cheetah cubs Dune friendlyl

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Bansheebob,Any pics of that ATC 500R :D  :D  :bolt:

370950[/snapback]

Actually I do, but they are on my home PC and I'll need to hunt for them. Basically looks like a stock 250r with a bigger jug and an extended swingarm. Used the stock 250r frame and fabricated custom mounts for the 500 engine. Actually use the stock rear fender, so you need to take it off to kick start it. Engine and pipe was built by an company called JT Racing who back in the 80's built the fastest odyssey's in the country including a car powered by a 500r cylinder that had a tunable while driving fuel injection system. Don't think that they are still in business, but they also were known as Dirt Werks back in the day and you can read about some of their stuff in the very first issues of Dirt Wheels and 3&4 Wheel Action magazines. I know I'm dating myself here :(

For the record I have raced at the highest levels on ATV's including stadium racing back in the day. How about you?

Well, then YOU of all people should know that when your on the trail riding fast, no wait super fast, that there's still a difference in that compared to when you've been past the edge and there's one person behind pushing you harder and there's another person in front your so desperately trying to catch. Knowing, you may not have much left in you, but somewhere you have to find the extra uumph.

There's a difference when your out on the trail for 30 or 40 minutes and have the luxury to stop and take a piss if need be, stop and grab a drink, you can slow down and wait up for someone, back off the throttle for a moment when your thumb cramps up.

You of all people should know that when racing for 1.5+ hours, there's NO stopping, NO backing off, it's riding at the edge of control for over 1.5 hours. Sure, the first 30 or 40 minutes ain't so bad, but after that third lap, things start getting numb, body parts start cramping up, your mouth is caked with dirt, your legs are becoming rubber, your out of tear-off's and it's getting harder to see, still no stopping, gotta make up more time.

If that's how you trail ride, then my hat's off. And by the way, I'm not here to prove what I've done, how fast I can ride and what I can do, that's what real-life is for, not the internet. I'm not too worried about impressing someone on here. If you don't like what I have to say, hit the back button.

Well, then YOU of all people should know that when your on the trail riding fast, no wait super fast, that there's still a difference in that compared to when you've been past the edge and there's one person behind pushing you harder and there's another person in front your so desperately trying to catch.  Knowing, you may not have much left in you, but somewhere you have to find the extra uumph. 

There's a difference when your out on the trail for 30 or 40 minutes and have the luxury to stop and take a piss if need be, stop and grab a drink, you can slow down and wait up for someone, back off the throttle for a moment when your thumb cramps up.

You of all people should know that when racing for 1.5+ hours, there's NO stopping, NO backing off, it's riding at the edge of control for over 1.5 hours.  Sure, the first 30 or 40 minutes ain't so bad, but after that third lap, things start getting numb, body parts start cramping up, your mouth is caked with dirt, your legs are becoming rubber, your out of tear-off's and it's getting harder to see, still no stopping, gotta make up more time.

If that's how you trail ride, then my hat's off.  And by the way, I'm not here to prove what I've done, how fast I can ride and what I can do, that's what real-life is for, not the internet.  I'm not too worried about impressing someone on here.  If you don't like what I have to say, hit the back button.

371071[/snapback]

Actually for most of this post I agree with you. Don't agree with the part about "back off the throttle for a moment when your thumb cramps up" though, because most of the serious racer's I've come across ditch the thumb throttle in favor of the twist throttle but that's just me. The comments I took issue with were "your only at 60% if you wanna keep up with anyone in a race" and "anyone that thinks they ride trail at a speed that would be competitive in race conditions are kidding themselves." When I trained for racing I did it at race speed, period. True every once in a while you have to push things to and past the edge, but I practiced at race speed so it was something I was comfortable and familiar with come race time. I think you'll find most pro racers practice at race pace. Again though I agree that race conditions are just about impossible to duplicate. Who said anything ahbout impressing anybody anywhere :shrugani: . I told you my racing background so that you would at least have an idea of my experience level which is why I asked what your experience was.

If I took your comments the wrong way I apologize, they just sounded a little snotty to me. If you'll look back, I also said I try to practice at a race pace as well, but there's no way to duplicate the conditions as you said.

There's NO trail ride that compares to racing. Sure, a person can ride "fast trails" or whatever, but nothing, not even my "race pace" practice can compare to actual race conditions.

What I was referring to was how people say they ride fast trails and then think they can hang in a 2 hour race. A lot of the peeps that want to trail ride around us are close to 60% through the trees and whoops. We end up slowing down and waiting on half the group.

Twists, thumbs who cares. At our races, there are more thumb users then twists; but there are both. My thumb doesn't cramp up usually, but it does happen.

So, I'll leave it at that. It's getting too deep and I'm sick of this thread.

Ducman

Thx for your view. The St Anthony Dune is ALL HILL AND Open Dune ANd the Cubs would Plain SHINE there. I ride mostly 1/2 to 3/4 throttle when on the open dune & 110 percent Hill racing. :)

But i am still very happy with my 12 port stroker.

Disclaimer

I posted this Thread as a Joke.

it's Not my fault.

Lacgoto No way My dad eats rebar and shits nails

Edited by Oilsmoke