Getting TORS kit, Idle Screw Help..

Capone

don't forget to grind the idle screw boss on the carb, or the idle screw, will not reach the slide to lift it. I believe Toomey has a "how-to" on their web site, don't be afraid to grind those carbs, I remember taking off quite a bit of material, before I could get the screws to lift the slides...

I just realized, I also need a size of the drill bit, and the # of the tap, if anyone can get this... I'd appreciate, or if you have both, and don't need anymore please send..

I bought a twist throttle of ebay, comes with carb caps, but no screws, drill or tap. so I bought screws for 10$ they want 35$ for the kit with a drill bit & tap. I have a full tap set, and I figured I could save the $25 for a drill bit. :P

I was going to have my roommate do this for me, since he works in a machine shop.

Drill press, etc.

Really...you can do this on a bench...

The hole is already there, and you're not taking out much metal.

I STRONGLY advise you to take the whole carb apart, bowls off...jets out, etc.

Once done, take a good 200 grit wetsand paper, and smooth any rough edges on the venturi side of the new hole.

As said...file down about 1/8 inch off the outside, so da nutz fit flat. Since the carbs are soft Alumniminum....I used a scotch brite pad on an angle die grinder...and took my time.

ONce done...I slowly turned in each screw till it just made contact. Then...from contact...I turned each one in about 1 1/2 turns. Mine idles just perfect!

Remember to warm 'er up first before attempt to adjust the idle....

about 1400 to 1600 RPM is right.

Just as everyone is telling you...the idle screw bosses(where you will drill)are located on the outside of each carb(left side on left carb, right side on right carb) a drill press with carb chucked up or supported would be best. Take your time, use lots of cutting oil while you are tapping. Also file the bosses down past flat as previously stated, Toomey does have detailed instructions on their site...toomey.com. LOok under the tech documents menu, and it is listed in the "motion pro thumb throttle kit" Also after drilling make sure to de-burr inside of the carbs where the hole exits, so the slides will not stick. :cheers:

Good point indeed.

When using the Tap...use a ton of cutting oil or WD40.

After drilling...I'd put the tap in 1 to 2 turns...oil her, turn her out.

Remember, if you've never used a tap before....always turn it in, then back it out just a hair furter than you turned it in. That'll keep the threads cleaned....

Really...once the carbs are off the bike and dissasembled...it'll take about 1/2 hour to 1 hour. Sure you could knock it out in 10 minutes...but, what would be the point?

I would file down the boss After you drill and tap the hole. That way...you have more of a "Guide" to drill and tap.