How to get 34mm PJ to idle?

Blue_SS

hey a friend has this blaster and the jettin is pretty close i got it running real good but i cant get the thing ot idle and im not a expert on jettin but im pretty good i think the pilot is too small but im not sure? i tried to adjust the idle knob but doesnt even phase it and id like to get it to idle, what do i need to do? mid and top and low runs good but you have to feather throttle to keep running when idling? thankx for any help

they can be a pain

they if they are on a shee, need to be sync perfectly at idle and wot. then it takes some fine tuning

i think i have 55 pilot or 50, 55 i do believe and it idle pretty good once it gets warmed up, when it cold i have to blip the throttle to keep it running

Rotate the choke knob to drop/ raise idle. It is really simple. The idle on these carbs are easier than any other carb I have owned.

Edited by SANDSTAR

In most cases 55 pilots work well for a stable idle on PJ's. Turn the choke/idle knobs in fully clockwise and back out around 9 turns evenly....mark the tops of adjusters with a paint pencil to keep track of the adjusters. Even though you have backed them out the same amount, they will be off from each other up to 1 turn or so. If you have a uni-sync, USE IT, and set the idles evenly. If you dont have access to one, put your hands on each pipe while warming up and make sure they get hot at the same rate. If not the cold pipe needs the adjuster backed out, and slide raised until they warm up at the same rate. After total hot warm up, and I mean totally HOT , adjust air screws until highest idle is achieved. NOW ,reset idle speeds at the same amount of turns each regardless of where they ended up at the last go-around. NOW adjust air screws again until highest idle is achieved and again reset idle adjusters at the same rate. Once youve gained as much idle speed as the motor wants to achieve by adjusting air screws, richen the air screws up 1/16-1/8 turn and again set final idle speed with the uni-sync. Now adjust cables until both slides open up at exactly the same time, make sure all cables are fully seated and snap the throttle several times and re-check. Now, PLUG CHOP the mains until desired results are achieved. Once you've done that, now you can adjust your needles for mid-range. If you need to change out the needles for richer mid taper spec,, you may have to drop 1 main size for the best results. If you change the diameter of the needles for richer off idle mixture richening, you may have to drop to 50's on the pilot and start from the beginning once again. These carbs will idle well if you follow this procedure...Jim

Edited by PassionRE

I have this same setup!! and it idles nice once it is warm.

and I did notice one of my pipes getting hotter first.

Im gona have to mess with it..........

180 Main

55 pilot

1.75 adjuster

8.5 Idle

Marcus

So Jim, you believe that the plug chop is the way to go. Is it ball park or dead on?

354493[/snapback]

Gas analyzer is obviously much more accurate, but for most of us earthlings , reading a plug properly is the best we can hope for in the field......Jim

Edited by PassionRE