piston ported to cylinder

hi guys i was wondering if i could port my new piston to my cylinder,has anybody done this before and what can i expect from this. :shrugani: any help would be appriciated, thanks in advance. :cheers:

331936[/snapback]

Yup done that for two years.I did notice a difference,BUT I broke two piston skirts in two years....I've been running the same brand pistons now for 3 years.This winter I just put new rings in and a hone.....It's not worth it in my book.

Are you guys referring to opening the window on the piston or cutting some off the bottom of the skirt?

331954[/snapback]

opening the window to match cylinder

Edited by blaster250

Yes I do Banshee pistons all the time and it works good. I would only recommend doing it to Wiseco pistons.

331975[/snapback]

ive seen it done alot.i did it to a old 80 a freind had.the bike had no powwer in the first place but i didint really notice anything but in a shee maybi

ive seen it done alot.i did it to a old 80 a freind had.the bike had no powwer in the first place but i didint really notice anything but in a shee maybi

332177[/snapback]

Piston porting will work with other mods, like head work, pipes higher flow air filters and cylinder porting. You will not notice much with a bone stock set up bike.

The ported pistons help the flow through an engine, but first you have to have a good way to get the flow in and then out again.

Ron

Piston porting will work with other mods, like head work, pipes higher flow air filters and cylinder porting. You will not notice much with a bone stock set up bike.

The ported pistons help the flow through an engine, but first you have to have a good way to get the flow in and then out again.

Ron

332274[/snapback]

oh of course you need mods to support other mods.it was already ported some so i opened the window.the bike is slow as shit anyways.

ive done this mod for several rebuilds on my she now with wiseco prolites, but i only raise the windows .100 and dont widen them,the cracking happens because when you machine hard brittle materials (froged pistons)you introduce stress into them and tiny cracks not visiable to the naked eye , its a good place to start a bad crack and if it breaks it will usually shatter from edges of the intake window. :angry: depending on how you machine the piston will depend on its reliability over time ,i only do it to start the intake charge sooner on my bike ,but its not much a performance gain just a tad faster revs at low speeds ,i wouldnt widen it either , the transfers and intakes in your jugs do alot more than the piston does to draw in air/fuel mixture ,i think its worth doing(raising window.100) but not as a replacement for good port and polish work :bolt: