hard starting

fromygod

ok i got a proflow with k&N, fmf fatties, v force reeds with 3/8"spacer, other wise stock.310 mains 30 pilots. when i try to start it cold, like after sittin for a day i have to kick the thing like crazy for like 2 min, then it will finally sputter to life, choke position seems to not make a diff. this has been a problem only since mid fall or so. once it starts and runs for even 20 sec its fine and fires right up with half a kick. thing runs like a top, plugs look great. this is the first winter ive had it but my buddies stock shee is much easier to start. iv e tried bigger pilots and it diddnt help the starting issue , it ran like crap. is it just the cold and mods? a friend suggested using ether to start it but im not too comfortable with the idea. Suggestions?

My shee kinda starts hard when its cold too. I have found that if you turn the gas on and let it sit for a min or 2, pull the choke out and don't touch the throdle and it will start in a kick or two. I have always had 4-strokes and was used to giving it a little gas to start it but I have learned that you don't do that with my shee or you will be kicking it about 10 times. I don't know if that is how they all are but it works for me :D

It's your jetting or your spark. How old is the machine? If it's new, then it's most likely not electrical. If it's old, a weak spark will cause hell trying to start a cold motor. Go up a couple of sizes on the jets..main jets and try that. I haven't rejetted since summer and my shee hates the cold. My own damn fault. I don't ride in the winter anyways...too cold. I hate the cold.

im gonna check the bowls, i only remove/rejet 1 carb at a time to keep things in order but that doesnt mean it happen before i owned it. Comp check was ok, so was leak down, no big diff hot or cold, but thats a good thing. Spark seems fine , bright blue, i had it jumping a huge gap on a old plug, machines a 98, but get this. today it started on four kicks.was only like 30 or 40 deg today, could still see my breath. it s a pain trying to adjust for this problem cause once its even a little warm its fine and ur done for a day. Damn finicky 2 strokes. will play with airscrews some tomorrow Thanks for the ideas BTW i imagine the bowl with starter jet is on left carb? somone reasure me

Sometimes when mine does this I will shut the key off, along with the gas, hold it WOT & kick it about 5 times, then turn the gas on & key on, shee typically fires right up. 90% of the time opening the choke all the way & kicking it a couple times will do the trick. :shrugani: When I shut it down before garaging it I usually shut it down by starving it of fuel so gas doesn't sit in the bowls.