twist or thumb throttle?

quad4me

I am looking at a 1990 shee with 02 plastics and a new motor .40 over. They want $2000. Good deal?

Also a 1998 shee with a TON of top of the line upgrades (too many to list), from a good friend/mechanic. he wants $3000. This one IS a steal.

I have always had a thumb throttle on anything I rode, so....

Question: Both have twist throttle. Should I keep that or is there a kit for thumb throttle? Which do you prefer and why?

Although a twist is a lot more comfortable for long cruising rides, I just don't like them otherwise. On motorcycles they are better but for a quad where the jarring effect of 4 tires vs 2, it's hard to maintain an even and predictable throttle control. I tried a twist for a while and it gave me a sore back, so off it came.

No kidding. I hop on my wife's YFZ and i hate that stupid thumb crap. One of these days I'll convince her to go twist. She was set on it till she hit a whoop hard on my shee and rolled that throttle on...scared her a bit.

Basically the trick to using a twist is having good coordination even when the unexpected happens. Its like anything you have to learn, at first its ackward and you have to conciously think about it but after a while you don't even notice. Most riders tend to drop their wrist when they hit something hard or unexpected or bring the front end up unintentionally. Having ridden only a twist my whole life my wrist stays straight no matter what.

I like the twist much better. Must better for those weekend trips to the desert. Last time I used a thumb throttle on a weekend trip I thought that my god damn thumb was going to fall off. Only thing you have to get used to with the twist throttle is jumping. Got to learn to watch your wrist. First few times when I jumped I thought that I was gonna kill myself on the landing. Something about going from a jump to a wheelie is not fun when you are not ready for it.

I have had a twist for a long time but it is coming off now. It is a lot harder to get off the power but still hang on tight with a twist. I have some new porting and I'm still trying to get used the the extra kick. I may end up back with the twister after a few months though.

if ur gonna be ridin mx it isn't gonna be to easy between jumps woops and all the othe stuff i know a guy w/ a twist when he went into a right hand turn h twisted the throttle without wanting to be cause of his body motion but i like twist for a long ride but thum on every thing else