which octane?

Hubie000

Recently I read (in Dirtwheels, i think) that it is not good on your engine to run any gas higher than 87 ocatane.

They say that it burns to hot for these (quad) engines and is hard on them. I currently run 92 octane on a "stock"engine w/aftermarket exhuast. But, after reading this I might start using 87. Is there any truth to this? (Unless your motor is modded for it.) ;)

Unless U have high compression U should run 87 or better. But, it not going to hurt ur motor by runing 92 by no means!!!

U r not going to gain anything like H.P. by running higher octane fuel unless U have mods..

Don't believe everything u read in that mag.

you really dont' need 92 on a stock banshee. a yfz 450 however..you need it because of the higher compression. Compression and timing come in to play a lot when you pick what gas to use. On a stock bike with pipes, 87 should be fine. I would run 92 at least anyway just to be on the safe side. you start bumping up compression etc, you need to running higher octane fuel

They say that it burns to hot for these (quad) engines and is hard on them

that is b/s. the higher the octane is the hotter it burns, but it also burns faster creating a lower combustion temp. that is why if you run higher compression you run higher octane, becaues lower combustion temps reduce the chances of spark knock.

Recently I read (in Dirtwheels, i think) that it is not good on your engine to run any gas higher than 87 ocatane.

They say that it burns to hot for these (quad) engines and is hard on them. I currently run 92 octane on a "stock"engine w/aftermarket exhuast. But, after reading this I might start using 87. Is there any truth to this? (Unless your motor is modded for it.) ;)

Hell man if anything running 87 could be bad for you...

Octane is NOT a measure of how "hot" a fuel burns. Octane is the resistanse to burn. The higher the octane number, the more it resists to burn. If you raise the compression over stock you need to run a higher octane fuel because you have higher cylinder pressure and the 90 octane fuel will preignite causing detonation. (very bad) If you run a fuel that has a higher octane number than what you need you will just be hurting your HP numbers. Sometimes Dirtwheels does'nt know shit!!! If you really want to know what fuel to run call your local VP-Racing fuel dealer or visit www.vpracingfuels.com :D

Um...octate slows the rate of burn during combustion. High compression motors need high octane fuel to prevent detonation..which is the uncontrollable burn or knock you get when the fuel ignites before it's supposed to. Low octane fuels contain more heptane..that's where the power from gas comes from..but heptane is extremely volitile and burns way too fast. Octane is added to control the rate of burn..slowing it down so it burns evenly and more efficiently. So High octane fuels won't hurt anything..but your wallet. Banshees will knock at seal level 29.92hg @59 deg F (basic average pressure & temp day) on 87 rated fuel. You should run at least 90..but I would suggest getting the best pumpgas you can ...Sunoco ultra 94..it contains no additives..that's a whole nother animal..