Piston size bigger than head domes?

87sheerips

ok, im having some work done on my engine, any the guy claims that ive been running my 100 over motor (66.5mm) with a stock head (64mm) and it is impossible that it even ran. It has run great for about a year now! he suggested there was thicker gaskets, but there wasnt. Is this just a really lucky case or what?? im sending the head to get shaved to accomodate for my 66.5mm pistons for the proper fit. What do u think is going on here, it has ran great forever like this.. I did notice the piston had some very slight markings on the top from hitting the head. what should I do!!!?!?!? thanks for the help. ohh, any cheap ways to solve this would be great! :cheers:

I could be completely wrong here but I thought the bore size was only the diameter of the piston and had nothing to do with the height. I wouldn't think the head would matter as long as the piston wasn't taller. I know that I have had to go up in bore sizes and the head was never touched. No problems here either. Does this shop normally work on bicycles or something. :wacko:

Like I said though, it's possible I have no idea what I'm talking about.

if you placed a stock head gskt on the 66.5 cylinders you would find they over hang but the one that come with the .100 piston don't a cool head dome for a big bore has a thinner lip betwen the o,ring and the inside of the cylinder to clear the larger piston the squish band would be very close on the outside of the piston becouse of the dome size on the piston. you could run 2 base gskts for a little more clearance.

Running another base gasket will raise the head away from the top of the piston. It will also lower the compresson so maybe you will have to go to a smaller dome size to make up for the loss. If you are useing the stock head you should be able to buy a thicker head gasket too.

Duneslinger I also have a choozen head, and was told by a mechanic who put one on a 66 mm banshee, that it leaked water. So for my 66.25 jugs I would need a stock head or pro design with big bore domes. You haven't had any trouble?

i've had a small leak on the left cylinder external from a stud that pulled threads when intalled,repaired threads and that was almost a year ago. this bike has 66.5 pistons with 21cc domes dune port work and pumps approx 175 psi. i really like chozen's three piece{counting domes} head design also cool flames

if your bore gets above 65 you should look at getting big bore domes, and if you have a stock head, you will have to have it machined. an after market head is the way to go, keep an eye on ebay, i see them going for around 150 all the time. and the domes are around 60bucks. all my friends have after market heads. i think the noss for the money is the best. i have a cool head and the water chamber on the noss looks like it has a lot more flow. and the domes are all interchangable.