To port or not to port, that is the question

Meat

Should I port the RZ juggs or leave em stock for now ??  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi meat,

I just got back my RZ barrels all ported and it has made a huge difference - lost a bit of bottom end but gained in mid and top end power. Just so you know the barrels are back on the road bike for further testing and fine tuning before installing on banshee. I was told that the standard barrels of the banshee can be ported to produce more power than the powervalved system due to the limitation around the power valve (not being able to take as much out) so Ive got my std barrels being ported now.

Go ahead and port them you wont regret it.

Regards

Rabbit

leave em stock for now. try them out before you port them. im sure porting will happen someday but would you rather have a banshee in stock form and then get it ported or just have a ported one to begin w/ ? i'd try the rz engine out before i'd do anything to it.

PORT PORT PORT PORT PORT!!!

Sorry... :D well not really...

The exhaust duration of the RZ cylinders are plenty for any Banshee pipe, the width is decent as well...The transfers and intake need some work....

Transfers- reshaped, cleaned-up, and some more duration- not much just a lil- that will broaden the mid range more and mellow out the curve to be broader and smoother- peak power will pick up too....

Reshape the intake for better velocity...

Get a good head set-up, good cages and right sized carbs!!! She'll rip!!!

Oh yeah btw.... PORT PORT PORT PORT PORT!!!! :D

-Dan

thanks for all the advice. Id like to see more votes and hear some more opinions on this as im still undecided :roll: . One one hand, I have these almost-virgin RZ juggs and it would be cool to leave em stock just so I can feel em' out, and the next rebuild have them ported. If Id leave them stock now, once I eventually do have them ported I would appreciate the porting work more....... but on the other hand I know i'll want more HP and it could be a long time before the juggs are off again.

Can anyone else sway me in either direction? Any other reasons why I should or shouldnt ?

BTW, im going to build my RZ-Shee this winter and I'll prolly have a few more of these "poll/threads".

Quick....er balony....... Bill tole me once that he picked up alot from some RZ roadracing guys he knows, or knew or something. :D Do you know if Bill is still porting cylinders, I think he's very busy with his school work. Id give him my business again, cause my past porting "transaction" with Bill was great, everything from email support from Bill, to the seat of the pants kick ass powercurve he ground up for me. He did alot of extra work for me because of the resleeving, he arranged for his machinest to install the new sleeves and did alot of work buildingtransforming my transfers.

Do the big name Banshee engine builders port RZ juggs ?? For example im thinking about Ohton, maybe Dave Moore, maybe FSTRNUGRR. I would also trust BackCountry with em. BC got any "hands-on" RZ porting experience 8) ?

Meat,

Yes, BC does have experience. He was telling me about an RZ 350 he did for a kart guy. He ended up winning the championship. Spun 11,000 rpm all day long...no probs.

As for bill, i know he just recently started med shool. Im sure hes busy. However, for you, im sure hed try to work something out. Yep, hes big with Dale Alexander, and Stuart Toomey, who originally started on RZs.

Cant go wrong with either of the two.

I am not aware of any RZs built by the other big guys.

If you need BCs email, pm me, ill give it to you.

Looks like he started his post while i was typing mine!!!