Running wires too close to the exhaust

Cotton eyed Joe

I was at St. Anthonys with Oilsmoke and his son this weekend. We went out onto the lake bottom (the Egin lake is now more like Egin puddle) for some testing/tuning/drag racing. Outta nowhere my bike dies. I put a hole in my right shoe kick starting it....nothing. Oilsmoke tows me back to camp, and then he and his son go back out to finish their ride while I ponder what the hell is going on with my Banshee.

I mess with a few things...choke...choke tube...pulled the plugs....checked spark...everything was fine it seemed...

Then I gave it hell kick after kick...until it started!!! But it was only running on the left side. The right was dead as hell. I took the seat off and as I'm revving the piss out of the engine, I notice my wiring is melted to the stinger, so I grab it and got the shock of my life. It kinda hurt to be honest. I guess the wiring had grounded out on the stinger, but I have no idea why only the left side was firing. I figured the whole thing would have been dead in the case of a short.

So, I pull the wiring off of the frame, and route it down past the air cleaner, and now you can see this ugly ass mess hanging down.

Oilsmoke showed me his chopped and relocated ignition and wiring harness. Its going to be a winter project for me, because there is no damned reason to have any wiring whatso ever running past the exhaust, or to the rear of the bike except for the tail light.

:angry:

AND I need new work boots now.

:confused:

heres my dilly

73897ec7.jpg

thvoltrelocate.jpg

works slick...I too have melted the harness on the pipes..except only my lights bit it, no problems with engine heat hurting anything. I taped some carpet on the bottom to dampen vibration and movement againts the tank..

Edited by rebelbanshee2

damn stan that sucks, kinda like when my flywheel ate my wires! pissed me off, god damn wiring, runs through the whole banshee, you could run it in the frame like the showbikes B) , my friend fucked up his shoe kickin over his 250r 2, happens to the best of us

If we have some marshmellows I could of fixed stans boot. :)

other than that one problem and the Flippin heat I had a Great Time dunning with Stan. Thx for going bro. :)

It was indeed fun.

Also I forgot to add my trap speed was a measly 63 mph :angry: AND I'm running a 7 paddle Skat Trak now......

This winter is going to be a busy and expensive one.

i was taking trying to get a blaster started that someone had cut the key off of and i did the same thing i was trying to find the wires to touch together i found them after being shocked 4 wheelers but out some POWER :whoa:

Yeah they do! I was revving mine. It was only running on one cylinder, so I doubt it was over 4-6 grand. I heard it snap when I touched it. I was also touching the thumb throttle, and with those billet grips I use, it was a no brainer....ZAP!