Opinions on extended warranties on new vehicles

My experience with the last 3 Chevys and the last Tahoe my mom still has YES BUY THAT FUCKING WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Each vehicle so far in the last 6 years or so has needed over $4000 in repairs.

My moms Tahoe, needed a fuel pump, and a new manifold/top end after 14,000 miles.

My dads 98, (I bought it right after all these repairs) new transmission, new manifold (common problem according to the dealer mechanic) which also required new heads according to the mechanic, and front end leak.

My dads 96, entire breaking system

My 99 S-10 Air conditioning system was shot after 250 miles. I also got 4 sets of dash gauges put in just after it turned 36,000 miles, and all of them went out after about 300 miles. I actually got asked "what I was doing to them".....morons.....

Just FYI...I know I'm probably biased, and to each their own, I'm not bashing anyone just speaking from what I've seen with my own eyes....and I seriously still love Chevy trucks...but my dads Tundra has almost 40K miles and 2 years on it and 0 time in service. NONE!!!! No one in my family can believe it either. All of us have had problems with our domestic vehicles.

I'm not too sure I'll be buying Chevy in the coming years.

Good luck with yours.

Edited by Cotton eyed Joe

I had a '96 silverado 2wd, that when I totaled it, it had 75,000 miles and no problems except when brand new there was a ticking noise that drove me nuts. Turned out to be some welding slag floating around in the drive shaft.

I now have a '03 silverado 4wd with 50,000 miles, I've had it in twice for leaking front diff, for some reason it builds up pressure and blows out lube thru the vent now and then, they have never been able to fix that. Other then that, it pulls my trailer good enough with no mechanical problems what so ever.

I liked the older trucks better, I was and always will be a fan of the chevy 350(actually got better gas mileage with the '96 compared to the '03, about 5+mpg diff on highway). If you don't need diesel, the chevy is okay, ford has come a long way in interior improvements and overall quality. Dodge has still had quality control issues, but damn if they don't still have great styling on the exterior. To me, on a half ton truck, it's a toss up between the chevy and ford. If ford could bring it's cost down a little (ford seem to cost more here) they would win.

My dad has a 89' chevy 2500 2wd with about 260,000 miles. New motor at 215k because he would let it sit and idle for hours on end so the crank bearings wore out. It would have lasted a lot longer otherwise. That thing was flawless for the first 100k so a warenty wouldn't have done much good. His 98' 2500 4wd has had the manifold problem and some other stuff so an extended warrenty would have payed off. The new chevys seem to have a lot of pieces that cost a lot that I think are engineered go bad. I think the 5.3 OHC motor internals will last forever though just as good or beter than the 350ci.

I have a 2004 Cherokee and I bought the extended warrantee for it. I thought long and hard before I purchased it. If you don't need it, its like pounding money down a hole, but if its needed, then its money well spent. I guess another thing that made up my mind was, I have the money now for the warrantee, I might not have the money at the time a major repair problem happens.

I personally do not buy the extended warranties, I do all the work on both my cars myself, and have some "good connections" in the automotive industry, but some people don't have that luxury, so my advise would be: If you are going to buy the ext. warr. hold out a bit when making the final "deal" It has been my experience that the "closers" at dealerships get more willing to deal on the price of the warranty as you get closer to signing the bottom line of the contract, play hard to get and beat them up on the price.

I never buy extended warranties. Not for cars, trucks, appliances, home electronic, nothing!! It is just insurance and a way for the dealership/store to make more money. They figure out how much the average repair will be in the time period covered by the warranty and then charge that amount, plus administration cost, plus profit, and that is what they charge for the extended warranty. So if you are willing to take the risk you stand to gain the amount of money that they calculate for administration costs and their profit. This is a gamble, but in the long run I will come out ahead. I have had to replace appliances/home electronics that quit in the time period that would have been covered by the extended warranty. But I have had way more items provide trouble free service throughout the extended warranty period. Since I always work on my own vehicles this is another reason for me to skip the extended warranty on the trucks/cars that I buy. You may not be able to do this, so the warm fuzzy feeling that the extended warranty provides may be worth the cost. It is worth the cost to many people, just not me. Most importantly, read the fine print of the extended warranty. These usually do not function like the normal factory warranty. Many times they have deductables and are less willing to fix repairs without trying to blame the failure on poor usage/maintenance. Finally, have them state the actual cost of the extended warranty. When I bought my last truck they tried to roll the cost into the monthly payment. It didn't sound all that bad, until I had them break the price out. They wanted around $2000 for a couple of years coverage! :whoa: I said no thanks, I can buy a lot of parts for $2000. Just my $.02.

Damn Dale, I thought my Ford woulda sold you that way. Oh well. I'm a fan of extended warranties because it doesn't take too much to pay for itself. But, I don't buy them on my trucks because the diesel comes with a 100k warranty, and the motor is the only part I worry about. Anything else, and I got it covered. Hell, I'd rather work on the suspension than the dealer anyway, warranty or not.

So, did ya get it or we just shopping right now?

BTW - are we riding again this weekend?

Edited by sredish

i wouldnt spend the extra money on one ever again. i did get one on my 150, and everything that took a shit, like the starter and thats about it happened in the factory warranty period, hell i figured if im going to break it im going to do it before the factory warranty is up. abuse your shit man, get your moneys worth out of the factory warranty.

Ya, I'm just tired of not having a truck. I really looked at all the models avialable and decided on the Chevy. The Toyota feels like you are sitting on the floor, the ford had a 5'5" bed and the banshee wouldn't fit in the back and let the tail gate close, dont like the looks of the nissan so that left the chevy. Its on the way now its getting the tow package, spray in bedliner and a DVD player installed, gotta keep the little one happy to. I will post pics when she arrives. If I can get a really good deal on the extended warranty I will go for it. If I say no three times and they come back lower each time I should be set then.