Opinions on Works front shock

tacoking

I am looking to upgrade my front suspesion and was wondering if anyone has had good luck with the Works Steelers with or with our resivors. I am looking for something that will make the front take woops and other desert terrain better. I want it to be plush but I don't want it to sac out to easily, and if possible to gain a little more travel without upgrading to longer arms. The steelers seem to be the most afforable but do they work well and last.

The steelers are pretty decent for the money I guess, but they don't have any clickers (no adjustment). If I had to do it over again I would have spent the extra money and went with elkas or axis.

If I had a dollar for everytime time I've heard that.....

Mike

The steelers are pretty decent for the money I guess, but they don't have any clickers (no adjustment). If I had to do it over again I would have spent the extra money and went with elkas or axis.

If I had a dollar for everytime time I've heard that.....

Mike

....you have a set of elkas then :lol:

Yeah I will probably go with the steelers. I don't ride enough to justify spending the cash for Elkas, Axis or Ohllins. If I went that route I would pretty much have to spend even more for some decent arms. I can get the dual rate steelers with resies for about $360. Has anyone revalved their rear shock with the RaceTech gold valve kit? I hope to balance out the front and rear so the both work together more efficiently. Would any one recommend doing the rear revalving or am I ok with just dialing in the stock one.

Has anyone revalved their rear shock with the RaceTech gold valve kit? I hope to balance out the front and rear so the both work together more efficiently. Would any one recommend doing the rear revalving or am I ok with just dialing in the stock one.

i've used the race tech valve before, you just have to make sure you get a spring to match the valving of the gold valve. PM Dunedemon he can hook up for a good price.

I ran a set of works w/res no comp or rebound adjusters and a set of custom axis w/ comp adjusters..the diffrence is night and day. Works couldn't handle the pressure my r/f shaft was bent 90 degrees when I had an internal damping failure. This was a week AFTER I had gotten them back from being revalved. Works had a bad habbit of bottoming out and my tie rods were actually hitting my upper a-arm mounting bracket bolt heads. I still got the marks on them. They worked Ok for the trails, but they weren't up to par for racing even after I had them moddified. Works uses a shitty valving system with springs and check-balls...these springs and check balls fail all the time. My rear shock wich is a works shock had a complete valving failure wich resulted in the loss of all damping. My shock guy told me the springs were completly shot. I had less then a years ride time on it since I had it rebuilt last. You might say to blame my builder, your right, I have a new shock guy and he's helping me out. But still cheap ass designs yeild cheap ass performance. You get what you pay for.

• 4 weeks later...

I love my WORKS Steelers.....I am 6'0, 185......And Love Getting Big Air......

Going from stock to steelers was night and day.

I now have control. The steelers actually keep the rubber on the ground.

I do not race....professionally.....but I do MX, Dunes, and Trail.....and I love um. I didnt have the money for the more expensive brands and these are great.

Also, I had my rear rebuilt by TCS. Todd at TCS will hook you up for around 100 bones. Well worth it.

I have a set on my built up warrior, excellent for agressive trail riding and whoops. Big difference over stock. And they are dual rates without rezzies. I have them set up for a 220lb rider, I'm only 200. Most people say there too soft, so add 20lbs to your real weight. There nice, easy people to deal with too.

On my banshee I got yfz450 shocks for like 220 from bob at magnolia tractor company. They are worth getting, lots of adjustability too. You just have to grind the bottom tabs on your a-arms.