Carb Tuning Question

tbd

ok my mods are t-5 kit, dyna ignition, v-force reeds, 330 mains, needle on 5th clip. now from powerband up is fine but below that its horrible, i take the lid off its better under load but not by much. so what should i try? TIA

What is your elevation? What type of filter set up? What do your plugs look like? Did you do a plug chop? It's hard to give you jetting advice without that important information. V-force reeds would make the needle a little rich. Does it bog right off of idle? If so that would be the pilots. Sounds like you may be a little rich with the needle and maybe 1 or 2 sizes on the mains.

Edited by baddboyy21

yeah the 280 s are too small..... maybe without the ignition but i'm going to try the clip at the 4th spot and 300 mains and see what i have and i'm running the filter set up toomey gave me

plug chop i've never done and i'm not too sure how to read it

yeah the 280 s are too small..... maybe without the ignition but i'm going to try the clip at the 4th spot and 300 mains and see what i have and i'm running the filter set up toomey gave me

300s or 310s might work good. I'd say def. put the needle in the 4th clip and that will probably help some. One clip position is equal to about a 1/2 main size, so by going one clip leaner you can run a tad bigger main, so if you figure 300 with 5th clip, 310 with the 4th might be just right.

Also, reading plugs is easy. You don't really have to chop it every time, I only chop mine if I think there's something funky going on or I'm having trouble making out the colors or something. Look for the strap to be black (not wet or oily) and the ceramic tip to be chocolate colored.

Here's a good article on reading plugs. It's important to know how, becuase you can't properly tune your carb without reading plugs.

Reading Spark Plugs.

300s or 310s might work good. I'd say def. put the needle in the 4th clip and that will probably help some. One clip position is equal to about a 1/2 main size, so by going one clip leaner you can run a tad bigger main, so if you figure 300 with 5th clip, 310 with the 4th might be just right.

Also, reading plugs is easy. You don't really have to chop it every time, I only chop mine if I think there's something funky going on or I'm having trouble making out the colors or something. Look for the strap to be black (not wet or oily) and the ceramic tip to be chocolate colored.

Here's a good article on reading plugs. It's important to know how, becuase you can't properly tune your carb without reading plugs.

Reading Spark Plugs.

That article is for 4-strokes......

The tip of the porcelin wont turn brown when checking a new plug after a WOT run. You have to look at the base of the porcelin.

It takes a while for the tip to turn brown. Also you can't check your jetting with old plugs...use new ones they it will set you back 3 bucks for the two lol. Don't be cheap.

The 2-stroke burns oil which gives a different color then on a 4-stroke...Thats why you can't read the strap on a 4stroke....I've tried reading plugs for a 4-stroke numerous times....Waste of time, time trials work better and more effective in the field. Takes about a 1/2 hour, but has great gains w/ max performance....As for 2-stroke readings. I read the strap on old plugs...some won't agree...to whoever, but the strap measures heat range...If the motor can't burn the oil on the plug, then your too rich, since the motor can't burn everything cleanly...A black plug strap will show this...If the strap is tan, then its burning the oil completely to a crisp meaning that its hot....You want to get that inbetween chocalate brown color...This is when your motor is burning all the oil cleanly w/o burning to hot....Yes, you can use old plugs w/ a long enough run, the plug will burn in......At 1200 degrees, it WILL burn in.....But, the oil in the gas is what helps determine the color since oil takes more heat to burn in, not the gas....

Well, thanks for the explanation. It's hard to find good tech articles and I stumbled upon that and agree with the info pretty much. I'll keep that in mind from now on though. From reading your posts, I feel I read plugs very similar to you in that I read the strap and ring mostly, although I do look at the tip of the porcelain for some color also.

Edited by sredish