Stock Needles Or Aftermarket?

I took apart my carbs today on my 2001 banshee that I just recently picked up used.. Anyway I noticed that it had 270 main jets in it with stock pipes, air filter, and air box. I found that a little odd. The only mod I could see was ported carbs. I also noticed that the needles had a washer on the top of the e-clip. Do stock needles come with a washer?

Yea that is a pic of the bike after I purchased the pipes and silencers for it. It came with stock pipes. Currently I have it jetted at 300 mains. The bike runs alright but im not sure if it can be running better with bigger mains. If the bike ran 270s with stock pipes and filter I figure I should be up around 370 with my pipes and no airbox lid. But that sounds crazy.

I just took it apart because I had a slight bog off idle. The needle was in the 4th position down from the blunt end. It was an attempt to figure out why I already had 270 mains in there with stock pipes and filter. If my quad overheats easily is that a sign of a rich or lean condition?

I bet that the person that sold it to you had pipes on it and put the stock pipes back on to sell the aftermarket pipes seperately and never rejetted it for the stock pipes.

Generally overheating is caused by lean conditions but I believe being too rich can cause heat too because when your too rich your down on power so you give it more throttle to compensate and now your burning way more fuel than you would have if you were jeted correctly. I think the difference is that you have to work at it and ride for a long time under load to get a rich jetted bike to overheat like lugging up a fairly steep grade for several miles and a lean bike will overheat easily after being riden a short time.

I bet that the person that sold it to you had pipes on it and put the stock pipes back on to sell the aftermarket pipes seperately and never rejetted it for the stock pipes.

Generally overheating is caused by lean conditions but I believe being too rich can cause heat too because when your too rich your down on power so you give it more throttle to compensate and now your burning way more fuel than you would have if you were jeted correctly.  I think the difference is that you have to work at it and ride for a long time under load to get a rich jetted bike to overheat like lugging up a fairly steep grade for several miles and a lean bike will overheat easily after being riden a short time.

And bet ur right to Ducman..

check the plug, It will ack like it's running right lean..

:shootself: after a little while there goes ur topend! $$$$$

First things first. Don't let it overwhelm you. Get your main set first. Period.

Once your full throttle performance is good and the plug is nice and dark, then begin dialing in the pilot jet and needle for your low and mid throttle response.

Remember one thing, one clip on the needle is equal to a half size on the main. So you might set your needle in the 4th clip and set your main, if it turns out the needle is too rich, then you know what to do.

Also remember, one step at a time, don't bother with the whole picture, the main is, well, the main, do it first and the rest will fall into place.

Scott