2 Strokes Versus 4 Strokes

xt45

first of all what is a stroke.

is stroke something in the engine.

what makes 2 strokes accelrate faster than the 4 strokes.

it refers to the power stroke of an engine. a 2 stroke has a power stroke every 2 strokes and a 4 stroke every 4......i said that right didnt I? haha

check

A 4 stroke takes 4 strokes of the piston to complete the cycle, then starts over again.. Intake,compression,power,and exhaust. A 4 stroke will only produce power every 2 revolutions of the crankshaft, A 2 stroke produces power every revolution of the crank.Thats why 2 strokes accelerate faster. Plus with a 2 stroke you have less mass internally to move versus a 4 stroke. No valves,cams,ect. This is a very crude description I know,but I hope it helps.

bansheejerry, that was a good explaination. i would say bout the same. but also 2 strokes are faster, cuz they usally run in higer rpm's, whcih is usally faster accel, but not always. 4 chokes do have lots more torque though. hence y 4 chokes usally need twice the cc's to keep up :lol: . if u wanna know really indepth, i got a engine's book from my college class last semester and i can parahfrase that chapeter for ya <_< . hope it helps.

peace out

Well, the new yamaha 450 will wind out close to 12,000 rpms....Banshee is good for 10,000..if it's modified. Yfz will make power all the way from the bottom to the top of the rpm range..Banshee won't make any real power till about 5,000 rpms, then wind out at 8,000...not a real big spread...hence why banshees are deemed peaky and hard to ride. Plus inherent design flaws in a two stroke motor will limit it's power...exhaust doesn't full exit before a fresh charge and fresh charge of air will escape out of the exhaust..all robbing power. Which is why two strokes will cease to be sold by 2005 or so..green peace air regulations bullshit. That is also why there has been a pig push forward in 4 stroke tech. Now pound for pound..CC to CC, nothing beats a two stroke. A 350cc two stroke will make gobs more power then a 350cc 4 stroke..but that 4 stroke will make a more even power curve..although the peak hp numbers are lower. Me personaly, I prefer the feel of a two stroke..they vibrate less and just sound better...That yfz 450..thing sounds like it's going to blow up when you rev up on it and vibrates like a mother fucker...It's somthing one has to get used to I suppose.

i heard this on a show,

4 stroke=the plug fires once for every 4 times the piston goes up and down

2 stroke=the plug fires every time the piston goes up and down twice

4 stroke

down = 1 stroke (intake)

up = 1 stroke (compression)

down = 1 stroke (spark)

up =1 stroke (exhaust)

2 stroke

down = 1 stroke (intake + exhaust)

up = 1 stroke (compression + spark)

The 2 stroke does the same work with half the effort.

a yfz450 pushing 12k rpms?

I thought they reved out at 9k

yeah i thought the same. $ strokes cant rev that high in an atv its like a grenade with a toothpick as the detonator. My Banshee goes to 12100 rpms according to my tach.

hollah