Grease

zR2

i've seen many people talking about drillin their rear axle carrier and puttin in a zerk fitting but what type of greae are oyu guys using in there. I work at a garage and our oil company just sent down some new synthetic wheel bearing grease. This stuff is so thin that to pack a bearing all ya have to do is dip it in this stuff pretty much and it coats incrediably well. Its almost like a very heavy oil. When we do the bearings in trailers with this stuff we fill the carrier with this and then put our seals in. The reccomended miles before changing or repacking 100,000miles. I was just wonderin if anybody has tryed this on a quad as soon as i replace my bearings i am gonna try it hopefully it will make the bearings last alot longer. Any opinions

a "liquid" grease wouldnt really work too well. The grease not only lubricates but it also makes barrier to keep stuff out and all the "liquid" grease you are talking about would do is mix with any dirt that might unfortunately get in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Im sorry for the late reply (out of town) Im going to try to get pics on tomorrow. I thought of it after I took it all apart. Im telling you it was hell trying to get it apart. My rear carrier bearings were shot. It was hard to believe they were turning back their and not making noise. I didnt worry about shavings. I did it while it was apart. I used a 1/4 tap and put lock tight on the threads of the zerk fitting. On the swing arm I put a 45 degree fitting to access it and a 90 degree one on the swing arm. You have to make sure to pull the seals on the inside of the bearings to allow grease to get to them. I drilled a 1/4 hole on the sleeve that goes inbetween the bearings to allow grease to get to the axle. Im thinking 1/4 hole is big enough? I did the same on the swing arm to allow grease to get to the through bolt. My needle bearings were also shot. The carrier almost took a whole tube of grease. I basically filled it untill I felt a little pressure on the gun. I didnt want to pressurize the carrier to the point the seals would pop out of the other side of the bearings. Hopefully I will never have to replace my bearings again after doing this. Atleast it will keep the water and mud out. Peace of mind you know.

Edited by squish