Yzf450 Pipes

I highly doubt it. On a Ducati 996 when you go from the stock highly restrictive stock pipe to a slip-on system (canisters only) with a straight through un obstructed flow and using an aftermarket fuel injection chip calibrated for the slip-ons you go from about 100 rear wheel HP to about 106. So on the YZF, I'd give say 5 hp tops as a high estimate with the pipe, jetted, and airbox lid removed. To get your friends 18 hp you'd have to add cams, a bigger carb and whatever else you could possibly do to it jsut short of N2O. :rolleyes:

on a stock 450 with anybodies pipe and jet kit you can at the most 6rwhp (49rwhp) and that was with a curtis sparks exhaust. At the shop i work at we have sold every kind of pipe for a yzf450 and dyno everyone of them. It's nice to only have a dyno 3 doors down from the shop (about a city block). Your boys full of shit if he got 18 more horses.

On a Ducati 996 when you go from the stock highly restrictive stock pipe to a slip-on system (canisters only) with a straight through un obstructed flow and using an aftermarket fuel injection chip calibrated for the slip-ons you go from about 100 rear wheel HP to about 106. So on the YZF, I'd give say 5 hp tops as a high

Yeah but trying to get ANY kind a HP from a Duc is like squeezing a stone to get water........

freekin Desmo junk...

alright i'm just jealous cause i dont have one..... ;) ..... :lol:

but i can hear that 996R callin my name!!!!... :headbang:

DMC claims a 6HP gain on the 450F. Thats with their jet kit. They do say that its 57% more but 1000% of 0 is still 0 :shootself:

There is a 5 lb. weight savings though which does equate to more usable horsepower in real life and no dyno can test that. If the pipe manufacturer is using that figure I can see where they're trying to claim this gain.

Stop drinking so much bneer when on a riding trip and you'll see the same gain though.

If your buddy doesn't understand power to weight, send him over and i'll drag against that 450 in my 80cc shifter cart.

more info before I get slammed with the pipe manufacturers claims above. The 57% claimed gain is not peak over stock. Manufacturers will use any number largest to sell their exhaust. If you do the math, it won't add up but here is what they're doing. They will claim a 5% gain on bottom, 20% midrange and 30% gain on top as being 55%.

Also, they may claim a 18 HP "PEAK" gain on a pipe. If you look at a HP curve, the new pipe may be 18% higher than stock but its at 8000 RPM where the stocker already fell off at 6000RPM. If you look at the actual curve you'll clearly see that the stock pipe is setup where people are going to actually ride within the RPM range, 3-6000 RPM. To keep noise levels down at WOT you lose the very top end by being restrictive. Its a give and take thing for the manufacturers in these cases. Aftermarket gives a rats ass about the noise restrictions for new manyfactured bikes so they uncork the thing, thus showing an 18HP gain at 7900RPM (DMC is actually a 14HP gain) just before the rev limiter kicks in. Not to say the manufacturer is lying or your buddy, its just not a realistic claim. Peak HP is achieved stock at 5800RPM stock and DMC is at 6500RPM If you take PEAK horse power at stock and compare it to PEAK HP on DMC you'll see a 6HP gain. Look at 5800 (Stock Peak) and DMC at the same RPM and you'll see there is a 4HP gain, at 6500 RPM (DMC Peak) and there is an 8HP gain. Which figure do you use to sell your pipes? If you're the manufacturer, you'll use which ever one is the absolute highest! Look at the dyno chart and edumacate yourself instead of purely looking at claims. They publish this info, they just quote only certain parts of it.