Coalfest

Meat

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holidays tend to bring staties.....and a lot of people have to do family things on memorial day weekend and such.

Memorial day, 4th of July and Labor Day, the strippins get packed with offroaders..... and yes the staties usually make an appearance during the holiday weekends. The staties wont drive deep into the strippins tho, but they'll be at Coal Hill for sure. From what I hear, and seen... the staties are acutally pretty cool about the riding situation. As long as your not shooting guns, riding on the roads, being obnoxius etc etc, they're pretty cool about it. For example, last summer we were riding through the center of the strippins when we came upon 200+ people, riding ATV's, dirtbikes, trucks and buggies. They were all in a big group and the group was stopped at a water hole and were taking a break. Well I pulled up to the crowd of people and asked what was going on. The guy I was talking to told me it was a benifit ride for a cancer fund. $10 per person to ride, food and beer included and the money's went to a local kid with cancer. I thought that was great. So I proceed to tell this guy, that the state cops were out at Coal Hill last weekend and to watch out for em. He tells me... they've allready talked to the Staties and they were cool about it. He then tells me there's a few cops riding right now in thier group ride. Its all pretty cool with the cops, as long as your not a jackass.

I WANT TO MAKE THIS PERFECTLY CLEAR. THIS LAND IS OWNED BY A LARGE COAL COMPANY AND THEY HAVE THE LAND POSTED. YOU WILL BE TRESPASSING.

Now with that said, iv never had a single problem riding here, 20 years and counting. No run-ins with the staties and no problems with the coal company. The coal company that owns the land is based 60 miles out of town. They dont mine the land anymore, they havent mined the land in 75 years. The land is scarred and the only thing its good for is offroading. I think the coal companies know this, and they dont bother us.... if we dont bother them.

I'm not sure on a date or anything but it's gotta be warm enough to camp at night, so late spring after the rainy season mainly comes through I would think would be a good time, when it gets up into the 75-85 degree range during the day and 50's at night.

I agree 100%. Lets pick a nice sunny warm late spring\early summer day with warm nights if anyone wants to camp for the night. The dust does get bad, but last spring\summer\fall it rained so much that dust was never a problem. Warmer days will bring more riders to the area, and thats a good thing. Plus... swimmin in one of the lakes on a hot day equals fun and it cleans all the black dirt off ya. If there's the slightest bit of dust...... everyone's face will be coal black by noon. Bring goggles.

Where would everybody camp at.

Me a few freinds are going to pick out a nice safe place to put up camp.

Camp will be somewhere in "the strippins", so we can ride back to camp at the end of the day, and if anyone wants to go for a night ride... there's 20 square miles to get lost in. Me and my buddies plan to go for a ride as soon as the snow melts, we have a few ideas for campsite locations. I'll post some pictures of potential campsite locations and you guys can help pick out the camp.

BYOTP(bring your own toilet paper) :) I'll be taking my tent, sleeps 6 or so, and its all booked up. Bring yer own tents, chairs, food and drinks etc etc etc... I'll bring some beers if you guys wanna slam a few back around the campfire.

A freind of mine cant ride anymore because of back injury, so he told me that he would come to coalfest for the whole weekend and just stay at the camp, guard it. So you could park your vehicles and trailers and whatnot, and he'll be there all day watchin' our camp for looters. He'll want to be intoxicated, so bring the camp gaurd a beer or something.

If your not thrilled about camping out in the middle of nowhere, you could always camp at Knoebles amusement park, about 15 miles down the road. Knoebles is a great park, I'll gaurentee you'll love Knoebles. HOME OF "THE PHOENIX" WOODEN ROLLERCOASTER. Knoebles has a nice campground ajacent to the park. Full hookups for water and terlit. I'll try to find Knoebles website and post it.

There's a few hotels around, nothing fancy. I have no idea what they charge for a room either. If anyone is interested in a hotel room, let me know and i'll hook you up with some phone numbers.

The problem is that my uncle(who I would come out with) is kind of wondering where we would stay and the whole illegal part of it.

Tell your uncle.....

I WANT TO MAKE THIS PERFECTLY CLEAR. THIS LAND IS OWNED BY A LARGE COAL COMPANY AND THEY HAVE THE LAND POSTED. YOU WILL BE TRESPASSING.

Now with that said, iv never had a single problem riding here, 20 years and counting. No run-ins with the staties and no problems with the coal company. The coal company that owns the land is based 60 miles out of town. They dont mine the land anymore, they havent mined the land in 75 years. The land is scarred and the only thing its good for is offroading. I think the coal companies know this, and they dont bother us.... if we dont bother them.

I should add... that iv never camped in the strippins with 20 other people. I plan on having the campsite deep enough in the strippins so the cops wont bother driving back, but also have the camp accessible by vehicle.... so you guys can park there. Chencer, Italian Musky and HTPRufton... please help me find this ideal campsite. :):ph34r::ph34r:

If, god forbid, the staties show up and drive through the trails and mud and rocks to get to our campsite... and everyone gets busted for trespassing....... dont say I didnt warn yas. In my opinion, the cops are pretty cool about riding there, just as long as we're not raising hell. The strippins is mainly behind the small town of Treverton, treverton does not have a police force. The only police presence is the occasional Statie that drives through. We will be close to treverton, but far enough out of town that we wont see any streetlights or anything like that. We'll be far from civilazation.

You can see Treverton in this picture...

back_side.jpg

If you own a GPS, please bring it. I will post GPS numbers for every major landmark, from Coal Hill, to the town of Treverton, to the campsite location. Walkie talkies, bring em. We dont want anyone getting lost. Like mentioned before, there's lots of intersecting trails, miles and miles of trails, its a 10x2 mile tract of barren land.... we dont want anyone getting lost.

hillclimbs.jpg

my 12 year old son will be there all weekend with us, he rides a Blaster.

Here's the website for Knoebles. http://www.knoebels.com

Knoebles is a free admission park, you pay only when you want to go on a ride. So you can walk around the park all day long, eat the good foods, enjoy the park and dont have to pay to get in the park. Ride ticket stands all over the park if you want to ride something. Its a really really good amusument park. Gaurenteed you'll love it.

Twister

twister.jpg

http://www.knoebels.com/camp.htm

Campsites cost $30 bucks a night at Knoebles....

Knoebels Campground: 570-672-9555

hey meat i'm happy to see such a huge interest, i have a feeling theres gonna be a big turn out, count me in as well along with my brother i hope it's alright with u guys he has a raptor lol as well as some friends might wanna tag along. they think it's awesome that all of us wanna get together. i kno i can't wait! B) maybe if we get a general idea of what month then have a poll where majority decides the day or something i don't know but any day is good for me!

knoebles is the shiznit. your kids can ride the rides all day long for 20 bucks and you will have tickets leftover. they never expire.good for the next time you go back.MEAT, how far are you from knoebles?i may have to keep this beater,i wanna ride the strippins.

I'm all over this.. but I cant come down until late may or june.....

If I can make a suggestion.... Plan far ahead... When planning any kind of event/get-together you want to give everyone enough time to plan time off from work, family, projects.

Last night I realized I dont have any skid plate mounts on my +4 swingarm, so I guess I'll have to find another swingarm or be a lil more carefull when I'm out there :)

hummmm i might have to make the trip I think i will bring both my rides the banshee and a 04 sportsman 4x4 looks like a lot of fun for ether ride :) when you get a firm date let me know. I am sure Banchetta may be interested as well

Hey Meat,I have a spot over here in NJ Ive been riding for about 20yrs and yes its a no trepassing zone-never really enforced until the last few years-assholes not respecting the area or neighbors.They dont go after locals-rookies do-but its a few people from the cities who dont respect woods-they dont clean up-ride across school property do donuts on soccer field at near by high school-alcohol related injuries-and just being stupid.Hopefulle your area will be RESPECTED and a good time had by all!!!!!

I hate when that crap happens bigwill. I used to ride down at the Port and areas around there for a good long time and then they started cracking down on that real bad....miss riding in the sand.

The area we go to up by Jim Thorpe (hazleton area) the one guy that owns a ton of property on the one side of the road started cracking down pretty bad cutting our riding area in half because some dumb kids went and broke all the windows on the mining machinery. If I ever saw kids doing that I'd drag them down and beat the shit out of them for just giving people like us a bad name and ruining our riding.