Street Riding

How is the Banshee on the street? I don't own one yet, only dirtbikes which I don't like on the street because of the knobby tires. But the 'Shee has enough power to haul on the street, but with a solid rear axle and all that power.....well, you can flip......any "street stories" for me?

If iam not mistaken, its illegal to ride any OHV on any public roads (unless no lines are present) in WV.

All ATVs are un-stable on hard surfaces such as roads. Not only because of the solid axle, but because of the rather small size they are and the speed they can reach.

If you want to ride something on the road, get a street bike. Thats what they are for.

Please dont ride around on public roads on a OHV illegaly and give them more of a bad name by either getting in an accident or just being annoying. Anti-ATV as well as Anti-dirtbike groups thrive on this stuff.

P.S.-Welcome to BHQ B)

Edited by CoolRaptor2001

Yeah, I understand. But they all do it around here in the back country. It's a judgement call, like riding a bicycle with the intent to not come near a car in the time you are on the road. But now and then you have to plan an occasional car coming down the road. You are right, just plan your rides where you belong. I am taking my bike out to the rail trail, a paved road just for bicycles. And I usually take the dirt bikes to the woods where it is allowed, but I was just curious about the "occasional bad habit of a little jaunt here and there like the other rednecks do". All comes down to " don't do it".

By the way, it IS actually within the law in WV. They want to change that though, and they should!!

When I get my Banshee I will treasure the times I can ride her now and then and forget trying to make more out of it by riding on the street.

Thanks for the very good advice!

1st- Why do you have two scren names?

2nd- it isnt legal in any state for a 4 wheeler to be street legal in any circumstance. In certain states of emergency they allow anything on the road but this isnt something that happens all the time. Shees are terrible on the road, I have ridden mine on the road a lot and its a pain in the ass to turn. The turning radius is about the same of a car yet the shee is 1/4 the size.

2nd- it isnt legal in any state for a 4 wheeler to be street legal in any circumstance.

Thats not entirely true, i live in st. joseph, MO, and there is a town about 10 or 15 miles away from here called savannah, MO, and u cant get permits to ride ur atv's on the streets. I see them all the time when i go up there. A buddy of mine has a raptor and hes got a permit to ride the streets.

permit maybe to legally ride on the streets of a state park, I want to see your buddy take this bike on an interstate and see how long it takes for him to get pulled over.

legal stuff you should know before talking about this is

bike must have, horn, hi/low beams, working tail light, working turn signals fwd/aft, right and left side mirror or one mirror that can give a peripheral view.

If your friends bike doenst have these things then its not road legal. Sure he may have a permit for whatever but i guarantee you its not street legal. I have seen two 4 wheelers become street legal and to me it shouldnt of been done because of the way they look afterwards.

I think the "permit" you are talking about is just a state registration. Some states like Pennsylvania have them. THey register their bikes and they get a nice looking liscence plate. The only bad part is that they arent street legal. The plates main purpose is identification in case they see you on the street were you arent supposed to be.

In WV it is legal to ride on the street, I forget what the speed limit is, like 15mph or something like that, and no interstate roads or 4 lane highways I believe.

I go down to Hatfield-McCoy every year and its great to be able to ride your quad into town and get something to eat and such. They dont care down there, they welcome it. If it wasnt for the trail system their'd be pretty much nothing there.

My shee turns on a dime when I have 20" tires on it, when I put 22"s on it, it'll barely be able to be turned around on a two lane road. It's all how you have it set up. Not to mention that it has enough power now to spin the tires around on pavement without a problem anymore.

The one guy on here from Germany I believe has a real nice street setup going. I liked how it looked.

Up near my buddy its hicktown, USA. Only cops to come around are state troopers....and they gave up chasing us years ago. We respect the area and besides a little noise of us going by....theres not much more to complain about. Hell some of the trucks are twice as loud. We hit the streets all the time, some of them paved, some dirt roads, and we try to stay off the main traveled roads.

If you've got everything set up well you can haul ass rather safely on a shee, I can be pinned in 6th for miles and not have any worries. You just dont want to go around sharp corners fast with knobbies on, the tires tend to roll over, and your quad will want to drift, which can be scary and devastating if you try overcorrecting, or fighting it. You just gotta be aware of whats going on around you, and be aware of safe limits of your riding.

well like i said, it is one city, i never said he rides on the highways, i said that he can ride the streets of the town, if u read correctly u would understand what i said, and no, he dosnt have a horn, signals, ect. i never said it was entirely street legal with these things, i know for a fact that he can ride legally around his town, along with many others that have permits for it. and no, he cant ride it to the next town, its a city deal. in able to get this permit u have to live in that city. i couldnt go up there and register my bike and ride, its a city deal. i dont care what you say, its legal for them to right there.

In Indiana it is legal to ride the utility type quads on county roads. This law will vary from county to county. But basically, the law views utility type quads as farm equipment, so it is just like driving a tractor down the road. Indiana has a lot of weird laws that favor farmers. I'm sure other midwestern states are similar. I just haven't figured out how to convince Officer Bob that my modified Banshee can actually be used on a farm. :huh: 'cause riding on the road is about my only option for doing plug chops. Besides it is a hell of a lot of fun.