Cylinder Honing

0Banshee1

Ok i'm going to hone my cylinders, because the stock bore still looks good. What kind of honing tool do I need? I have seen a tripod looking one and a brush looking one with lil balls on it. After I get the tool, how do I go about honing the cylinders? I want to get some input before I do this and mess something up. Let me know something, thanks!

make sure u go up and down evenly inside the cylinders. holding in one place for too long of time may put grooves in the cylinder. when yer finished it should have a smooth feeling but somewhat of a rough appearance, this inturn helps the rings seat better and seal correctly with less chance of burring along ports

hope this helps

Matt

Ok I got the 3 stone honing tool shaped like a tripod. Is this what everybody uses on banshee cylinders? So I need to put some cutting oil on the stones, stick the tool inside the cylinder, then let it go so that it opens against the cylinders, then run the drill about half speed and go in and out till its smooth and has a crosshatch look? Somebody let me know if this is correct before I do this today, thanks!

Set you speed on the drill at a medium rate and make several passes with the hone at a constant rate up and down. Once you've determined that the cylinder is somewhat true(this will be indicated by places where the hone is not touching). NOTE:It would be considered normal for the hone not to touch around the intakes and in some areas above the exhaust ports on a somewhat used engine. Its up to you if you want to hone it more in order to clean up these areas, but be warned you may exceed safe clearances and expose your engine to increased possibility to piston skirt breakage.

Next, slow the drill down to a rather slow rate of speed and increase the rate at which you are moving the drill up and down. This will give you the crosshatch your looking for. On your very last pass, stop the drill at the bottom of the bore nearest base gasket area. Pull the hone out using your fingers to depress the fingers of the hone while removing to avoid scratches in a verticle direction....Jim

I forgot to add that after you finish honing your cylinders, wash them extensively with hot soapy water(dishwashing soap works well for this). Then wipe the bore surfaces down quickly with paper towels soaked in motor oil. Do this several times until the towels come out clean with just the motor oil on them. This will indicate that all the honing stone material has been removed from your crosshatch. Do not wait to wipe them out with the towels very long after removing them from the water/soap solution or rust will form almost immediately...Jim

In the first post you said the bore LOOKS good. I hope you checked or had someone check that you are within proper tolerences ( piston to wall) This is great info on honing, Just dont over look the fact you my need a bore job. If piston to wall exceedes .006 I would think twice.

Ball hones work good for de-glazing but wont give you a true indication of bore wear. You can have a totally distorted bore and the ball hone wont represent that after honing....Jim