2 Stroke Ban

I'm sure by now all the members have seen at least one post about the alleged ban to come on two strokes. I was browsing another site, and found this. I don't know how much factual information is behind this, just thought it was an interesting thought.

"OK, everybody listen up. I don't want to have to repeat this. The dawning of the year 2006, will NOT necessarily bring about the end of two stroke motorycles, like many (most?) people believe. I will do my best to make this as clear as I can.

The EPA, classifies motorcycles as either street, off road, or closed course. The street category should be self explanatory: any motorcycle that has all the bells and whistles that will allow it to be ridden on the street. Off road motorcycles, are those that are designed for trail riding, like dual purpose machines, enduro bikes, etc. This is the Kawasaki KDX models, the Suzuki RMX models, the KTM EXC models. Finally, there are the closed course models, which include all the motocross bikes.

The EPA, has the authority to regulate emissions on all Federal and State regulated land. They don't have the authority to regulate these things on PRIVATE land. Now, since there is a bunch of state and federal land that is used for trail riding and enduro's, they have the authority to regulate the emissions from anything (not just motorcycles) that is used on these lands.

The EPA, has by the authority of the Federal Clean Air standards, set the emissions levels for all vehicles used on the lands that they control, at 2 grams of HC (hydrocarbons). No two stroke motorcycle, will meet this standard. So, the manufacturers have said that there is no use in them producing machines that won't meet these standards, because their customers won't have anywhere to ride them. Thus, after 2005, the manufacturers are no longer going to produce two stroke, OFF ROAD motorcycles.

Motocross motorcycles, because they are for closed course use only, are not in this category. Thus, unless people quit wanting to buy the two stroke machines, the manufacturers won't stop making them. If the general public quits buying them, then as a good business decision, the manufacturers will probably quit building them." (quote from anonymous author)

Hi all:

I am not sure if I agree... even though I think the ban is bull$hit.

For one the private land issue is irrelevant. The tree huggers manage to regulate thousands of factories which produced emissions on private property. The air moves off the private property. Hell, Europe is complaining about our smog moving over there.

If two-stroke demand were great enough Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki would have never stopped making their two-stroke models. I am still amazed the Banshee has endured this long. The Blaster caters to and supports the Banshee market by providing a peppy entry-level ATV.

Just my two pennies... :-)

Regards,

Bill

2003 Banshee + K&N and a dented front bumper to remind me...

I tend to agree with the quote on DIRT BIKES, but I don't foresee Banshees ever being sold as "closed course" models, the factories have already committed thumpers for this designation.

STLBill you make some good points, but there's two entirely different agencies responsible here; the CPSC and dipshit lawsuits led to the demise of TRX250R, LT250R, LT500R, and Tecate sales: no amount of demand (or subsequent sales)was going to make up for all the lawsuits and bad publicity. Now we have the EPA, backed by the enviro-nazis attempting to regulate sales by limiting emissions (when all they really want is a total ban on off-road vehicles)...

The CPSC forced factories to cease production to protect themselves, now the EPA is trying to do the same under the guise of "protecting us". Two different angles with more or less the same intent.

BTW Yamaha's continued Banshee (and Blaster) production through all this crap as you mentioned is one of the reasons I have alot of respect for Yamaha as a whole. Crazy bastards, gotta love 'em. Sniff. I'm gonna go hug my Banshee now...

i think what he posted is right, but in order for something to be for closed course its has to have no lights, 10" of wheel travel and no spark arrestor. So there will be 2 stroke MX bikes but no banshees and blasters. man i would love to find someone who works for the epa and kick them in the ball sack

I think what people fail to realize is that this 2 stroke crap only applies to the USA.

I guarrantee that the banshee will still be produced and available to countries that do not have strict emission laws.

What I don't understand is why people think that the Banshee will stop being produced all together.We as American are not the only ones who ride these atvs.Countries like AUS still allow 2stroke cycles produced after 1975 on the streets.

This will still benefit us as parts will be readily available for many years to come.

I think they will try selling the Banshee as a closed course model for the first year and if it continues to show good sale numbers,they will continue selling them here.

night rider said that this rule is only for the US, if this is so in my opinion this will impact the hole manufacturing of 2strokes over the world. yamaha have one of the biggest productions rates with the banshee and if this rule comes into place then they will fall seriously, not just in the US but in europe and AUS. there isnt that many people in the uk and other countries around here that have the interest of 2 stroke atv. if they decide to stop making the banshee and blaster with you then they are hardly going to keep making them over here becaus they are not enough people wanting them unless there are separate companies wanting to import. another way would be to make the bikes to order, the costomer goes in orders the bike and has to wait 3 weeks for his new bike to built and arrive.

this rule is the biggest load of shit iv ever seen

f*ck anyone who wants to ban 2 strokes. i think to debate this we should have one big brawl between all who oppose and all who are for 2 strokes. this would be a very democratic way of deciding. plus it would be exceptionally fun to punch those tree hugging fuckers who like to watch small fury creatures in the wild.

There not going to stop producing them simply because we no longer can use them.People,you need to realize that we are not the only ATVers on the planet.Look over at the UAE,I watch alot of those videos at planet sand.Everybody and there mother are riding banshees.It looks to be the quad of choice over there.

Canada,Mexico,South America,Austrailia,Europe,even Africa.The production numbers may decrease,but theres no reason to cease production if they still have buyers.

Take the volkswagon beetle for instance,And I'm not talkin about the new FWD ones.

They continued to produce and sell them all over the world except for the USA,Why because they offered no emission controls.They never stopped making the old beetles,they just stopped importing them to the US.