Jetting

ok i just got a trinity 33mm single carb set-up, a moto-fast 2into1 pipe, ported reed cages with boyesen reeds,and cut air-box lid, well it has very little of a power-band if any in the lower gears, and the plugs are black as night, well it started first kick today and its only like 35 degrees out and its been sittin a month, its got fresh gas, but the plugs are my old ones, my air-screw is 1 1/2 out, and im at 1500'ft above sea level, any suggestions would be very very helpfull. Thanks in advance, Jonathan

I tryed that a little while ago i went from a 48 pilot to a 45 and still nothing, right now its jetted with 180 mains and 45 pilots, and its still run like crap, I have no clue what clip postion my needle is on but if i droped it down a size would that help any? and I tryed my air screw at 1 turn out and all the way up to 2 3/4 out and still didn't help, I know its gotta be jetted way to rich because my plugs ar solid black, Thanks, Jonathan

You can keep dropping. I'm at sea level in 30 degree weather and I run a 38 pilot, I have to run a 35 pilot in the summer. Trinty told me over the phone that most people run a 40 or so. So keep droppping. When I had 42's, my shee would start 1st kick in the cold but it wouldn't hold an idle for more than 2 minutes cause it would load up. Now with the 38 I need to choke it and it takes 2 or 3 kicks sometimes but it idles nice and off idle response is redonkulous.

So set your pilots for good idle and off idle response, do a plug chop for the mains then set your needle according to how your shee runs overall.

I'm running my needle in the middle position right now and it could be leaned up one position(clip position) but it runs good for me right now. If I do alot of woods slow speed crawling it'll load up a little but it cleans right up in a few seconds. My plugs are black after a day of riding but not to the point that they are fouled. With the temps going from 1 degree to 48 degrees in one week I'm erring on the side of rich jetting. Let me know if this helps.

The 180 may not be too big cause i'm running a 182 right now. Remember its all about the setup. I run LRD's, you run 2 into one pipe, so you may not wanna just go straight to a 35. You should work your way down from say a 40 at least. If you rev out clean on the top then you are not too rich on the main. Since our setups are different the jetting will also be different.

You should do a plug chop on that 180 first before you buy any lower or higher sized jets. Never do this if you think you are lean only since you are rich, and always use new plugs.

Make should your idle screw is at less one full turn out ( not air screw). If it want idle like that, get it to idle by adjusting your cable. Start with 50 pilots and 180 mains, and go from there. Most people can't get it to idle right with the idle screw turned out, so they turn it all the way in. The bike wont run right like that. I went to the carb web sight and they say, no matter what it has to be at less one full turn out or you wont run right. As far as your pilot goes, that is for off idle. Put the 50 pilot in and give it a couple of blips on the throttle. Start with the air screw at 11/2 turns. Turn it out every couple of revs a 1/2 turn. If you get 2 1/2 turns out and its still getting better throttle response, go to the next size lower and do the same thing. With the main jet start with the 180 mains and go down until it will rev out in 6th gear. The needle is the easyest. Start in the 3rd postion and go up and down until you feel the power comes on the best. That it does not bog when you jump on it and also does not pop. If it bogs, go up on the clip. If it pops go down. This is when your looking at the needle with point facing down. Also do all of this in this order.

For the record I run 175 mains and 48 pilots in the summer, and 175 mains and 50 pilots in the winter. This is at 4500 feet att.