Sputtering & Missing At Mid-throttle

You didn't respond to the rest of my post about the tors....Have you done any changes or maintenance at all before this occured?? did it come on at once or slowly??? Have you checked the reeds?? Any water on the air filter?? Does gas leak out the overflows??

All the TORS stuff was removed or disconnected by previous owner. The boxes on top of carbs are gone and the little control box by left exhaust is disconnected.

No water in air filter, no fuel out carb overflow hoses either.

Problem has creeped into it over time - slowly. Its now just too bad to live with. This bike ran perfect when I got it and I have not modified or changed anything outside items discussed in this post.

Thanks

Trying pulling the carbs apart and blow all the little ports out w/ an air compressor. Take the air screws out and wouldn't hure to pull the pilots out when you do this too....While you have them apart, check the reed petals and make sure they are closing all the way. They shouldn't have any gap between the petals and cages.....

I am curious, if it ran great in any and all conditions before and nothing was changed, how did it all of a sudden become a jetting isue. This may help I had a similar problem mine was a dog on the bottom and middle, had to slip the shit out of the clutch to get going once it was on the pipe it ran fine. after pulling my hair out I changed reeds problem solved. The thing is my old reeds did not look bad no cracks, my buddy had a set laying around and we couldn't find anything else wrong so we tried it. it did the trick

This may help I had a similar problem mine was a dog on the bottom and middle, had to slip the shit out of the clutch to get going once it was on the pipe it ran fine. after pulling my hair out I changed reeds problem solved. The thing is my old reeds did not LOOK bad no cracks,seemed to be closing but my buddy had a set laying around and we couldn't find anything else wrong so we tried it. it did the trick

I am curious, if it ran great in any and all conditions before and nothing was changed, how did it all of a sudden become a jetting isue. This may help I had a similar problem mine was a dog on the bottom and middle, had to slip the shit out of the clutch to get going once it was on the pipe it ran fine. after pulling my hair out I changed reeds problem solved. The thing is my old reeds did not look bad no cracks, my buddy had a set laying around and we couldn't find anything else wrong so we tried it. it did the trick

Aftermarket reeds will run richer than stock, raising the needles one clip will do the same thing....I jetted in a friends shee and ran strong as hell especially after we raised the needles all the way up....Put some boysen petals in and it fell on its face...lowered the needles back down one notch and ran like a raped ape again....

QUOTE (ledofthezep @ Dec 23 2003, 12:48 AM)

Not really related,..but kinda....I went with my cousin & picked up an '88 LT250R yesterday. It did like your shee kinda,...ran fine low but at mid throttle it'd spit, sputter, & bog really bad. If you could get it past the 'dead spot' it would rev to the moon just fine. I raised the needle in the brand new aftermarket carb and that completely fixed the problem. Runs like a champ now. We didn't bother telling the guy we got it from--he couldn't get it running right so that's why he got rid of it. Pretty sad for someone who claims to be an 'ace' with atvs...hehe 

My shee still spits & sputters & backfires only at WOT, have checked everything numerous times. Has got to be the stator...dunno what else it could be. Going to try a new stator when I get the $$ & hope to hell that's the problem. 

AT wot.....tried larger mains???

Yeah, I've upped them 1 & 2 sizes...no dice. It's always ran tip-top,...was like someone flipped a switch & shee went to hell--but only at WOT. Reeds are good, compression is fine, coil's good, cdi I imagine is just fine, only thing I haven't changed out is the stator--which probably only has about 30hrs on it(replaced with OEM stator a while back). I'm going to get a stock stator as soon as I get some money, probably the beginning of Feb. & try it, sure hope to hell it fixes it because I'm ready to f*ck'n ride....I don't mind the EX, but want a thrill. :P

Checked the petcock?? What do the plugs look like after a wot run in 6th gear for 5-10 seconds?? Maybe your wayyy to lean and need to go 5-6 sizes larger...My shee will spit and sputter w/ 280 mains, but runs perfect w/ 300. A 320 will make it run rich as hell.....Fine line.....

Yeah,...petcock was the 1st thing I checked after I came in from the dunes right after it happened. I'm at 280 on the mains right now. Plugs look fine...after the WOT test in 6th they're light brown in color. So I dunno. I guess I can try a 300 before spending the money on a new stator. What gets me is it's ran fine for almost 4 years with 260's then all of the sudden it starts shitting out on me, I was WOT going up a dune & it started to spit, sputter, & backfires occasionally--on both sides at random. So I dunno...I'll let ya know what it was when I get it fixed.

Thanks a lot,

Led Zeppelin B)

My bike did that Led, and it was the coil primary wires that were not on properly. (the orange and the black). Spitt and what not only at WOT. but yea, them 280's sound lean to me as well. Another problem I had once, with brand new reeds, was that I cracked one off. it was still hanging there, but not doing anything. The bike would run fine, but at WOT, it died. Fell on it's face.

My bike did that Led, and it was the coil primary wires that were not on properly. (the orange and the black). Spitt and what not only at WOT. but yea, them 280's sound lean to me as well. Another problem I had once, with brand new reeds, was that I cracked one off. it was still hanging there, but not doing anything. The bike would run fine, but at WOT, it died. Fell on it's face.

hmm. I dunno. I've tried switching the coil wires around--didn't make a difference either way(I'd never moved them since the day I bought it, but tried switching them for grins) I've clipped the plug wires a bit & made sure the caps have good connection--have good spark on both sides. I've also checked the reeds...twice now. They're still the stock reeds but they're in good condition-no cracks or signs of wear. I'm going to try a 300 main & 320 to see if either helps...but I don't know if it will because hell it ran fine for years with 260's! :huh: The 'all of the sudden' start of this is what baffles me & leads me to think stator. :unsure:

I would also check the float level in the carb bowls, using a piece of clear hose attached to the drain and place up next to the carb bowl, make sure it's just below the matting surfaces.

10-4. Already checked. ;)

Again, thanks to all of you guys for the help. I appreciate every bit of it. ;)

ledofthezep - from reading other posts on stator failures I took a stab in the dark on mine & bought a new one but that didnt fix it.

The gap on the pulse trigger was checked twice before stator replacement and again when new stator was installed. All the ohm checks for the stator always checked OK by the book but that is not a dynamic test of stator output so it is not that definitive.

br98 --> I dont know that this really is a jetting issue for sure. I have swapped out all the ignition parts except the cdi box and am trying to decide if I should replace it. As you probably know they are about 300 bucks.

I guess its reasonable to assume some SLIGHT jetting changes could be expected over the life cycle of the top end as the flow dynamics change due to engine wear.

This bike has been set up with mods listed since it was 5 days old in 1989.