521 Banshee

Hi all. I'm new to BansheeHQ but I've recently bought a 1991 350 Shee and I've been doing plenty of research here and I've enjoyed learning from the wealth of knowledge both from here and YouTube with engine work/carbs,exhausts and  setups to see what everyone has done in the past with various applications depending on where the intended use it, trails,dunes etc.

I'm in England and the Banshee I bought is setup for street use and is road registered and that's how I intend to use it.

My goal would be to build a 521cc Cub or Super Serval with New Yamaha trenched cases. LED pipes and 38-40mm carbs and enjoy it as a summer cafe racer, weekend riding between fuel stations and just enjoying the nostalgia of a 2stroke machine in a world where electric vehicles seem to be the future and I want to stay in the mehanical past for as long as possible.

From what I've researched I believe Cam is the guy to speak to at Redline racing. I've also seen that Claude Perron has done a 521 and I like it alot. The LED exhaust looks stunning!

Any further information is welcomed. From my calculations I can see I'm looking in the area of a $7000 parts list already.

Steve

Hi all. I'm new to BansheeHQ but I've recently bought a 1991 350 Shee and I've been doing plenty of research here and I've enjoyed learning from the wealth of knowledge both from here and YouTube with engine work/carbs,exhausts and  setups to see what everyone has done in the past with various applications depending on where the intended use it, trails,dunes etc.
I'm in England and the Banshee I bought is setup for street use and is road registered and that's how I intend to use it.
My goal would be to build a 521cc Cub or Super Serval with New Yamaha trenched cases. LED pipes and 38-40mm carbs and enjoy it as a summer cafe racer, weekend riding between fuel stations and just enjoying the nostalgia of a 2stroke machine in a world where electric vehicles seem to be the future and I want to stay in the mehanical past for as long as possible.
From what I've researched I believe Cam is the guy to speak to at Redline racing. I've also seen that Claude Perron has done a 521 and I like it alot. The LED exhaust looks stunning!
Any further information is welcomed. From my calculations I can see I'm looking in the area of a $7000 parts list already.

Steve

I dont have much to say. It look like you did your homework. Redline is for sure, a great builder.

You can get Driveline cases, dunno if they are cheaper than oem, price wise.

Go with Crankworks billet crank.

Don't be afraid to ask specific questions.

Envoyé de mon SM-S908W en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi Claude nice to meet you. I believe you are the owner of the 521 Banshee I mentioned?

Thanks for the reference to Driveline cases I hadn't looked at them until now. They claim they have added extra material in all the places the stock cases were lacking for today's larger stroke cranks and aftermarket cylinders. You can trench these cases up to a 14mm stroke without any epoxy or welding and they come already pre trenched to take a 10mil crankshaft.

Thanks for the info it looks like the Driveline cases would be better for my platform as long as the material is good. I can always research them on here to see what experience people have had with them.

How are you getting on with your 521 have you had much running time with it since your YouTube video?

What carburettors are you using? I'm interested in the Smartcarb2 - I've read alot of pros and cons same to be said on the Lectron Billetron carbs I guess it may all come down to personal preference but I am leaning towards wanting to try the SC2 setup. But again I'm not the first to do this so ofcourse any info on experience is welcomed.

I will be using pump gas the super here in England is 97-99ron E5 fuel and regular is E10 95ron.

I plan to use E5 97 as a minimum.

Another thing I forgot to mention is with the transmission/dog gears. I've seen the shift star mods and roller bearing upgrade etc.

I plan to get a new cut transmission to help with the power and I would like to widen the ratio if possible to help with the road ratio.

What transmission are you using?

Hi Claude nice to meet you. I believe you are the owner of the 521 Banshee I mentioned?
Thanks for the reference to Driveline cases I hadn't looked at them until now. They claim they have added extra material in all the places the stock cases were lacking for today's larger stroke cranks and aftermarket cylinders. You can trench these cases up to a 14mm stroke without any epoxy or welding and they come already pre trenched to take a 10mil crankshaft.
Thanks for the info it looks like the Driveline cases would be better for my platform as long as the material is good. I can always research them on here to see what experience people have had with them.
How are you getting on with your 521 have you had much running time with it since your YouTube video?
What carburettors are you using? I'm interested in the Smartcarb2 - I've read alot of pros and cons same to be said on the Lectron Billetron carbs I guess it may all come down to personal preference but I am leaning towards wanting to try the SC2 setup. But again I'm not the first to do this so ofcourse any info on experience is welcomed.
I will be using pump gas the super here in England is 97-99ron E5 fuel and regular is E10 95ron.
I plan to use E5 97 as a minimum.
Another thing I forgot to mention is with the transmission/dog gears. I've seen the shift star mods and roller bearing upgrade etc.
I plan to get a new cut transmission to help with the power and I would like to widen the ratio if possible to help with the road ratio.
What transmission are you using?

I'm using Kehin pwk 39mm because I'm used to set them up. I dont have any experience with the smartcarb/lectron stuff.

As far as fuel, just tell the builder what fuel you will use. Your 97-100 ron fuel is the equivalent of the premium pump gaz (92-93) here, so that make the uccr in the 12ish range

Mine was set to run Avgaz (105) , so my uccr is higher. I have 2 sets of domes, the 30cc are 178 psi kick compression and the 31cc are 168psi.

I guess that 12.5 uccr will have something about 140-150psi, depends of the port timing and squish.

Maybe you can look for the late RD 350 tranny, they have longer gearing iirc.

Mine was done by Joe Morinali, and i have all the mods in it (pro mod)

Envoyé de mon SM-S908W en utilisant Tapatalk

22 hours ago, locogato11283 said:

Just FYI, Cam at Redline is in the process of moving and likely isn’t taking on projects for 6-8 weeks.

Wheres he heading?

On 3/3/2024 at 10:15 AM, locogato11283 said:

Just FYI, Cam at Redline is in the process of moving and likely isn’t taking on projects for 6-8 weeks.

You and him are going to WAYYYYY closer now!