New Banshee Owner with a 2 Stroke Pre Mix Question.

First off Good Afternoon Fellas!            I would like to introduce myself and my name Jake. I would like to first apologize for the long post here but I am new to this whole Banshee thing. I have been trolling the site for a few weeks now learning as much information as possible about the Yamaha Banshee. So today I decided that I would join the BansheeHQ community. I’ll have to say that this site is very resourceful with a lot of information for a new banshee owner like me. 

So. this past weekend I purchased a very clean, low hour and a very well maintained (I’m the 2nd owner) 2005 Yamaha Banshee Special Edition that is basically stock other than the aftermarket exhaust system and air filter setup. The previous owners gave me the original owner manual and tool kit with it. He said he had the exhaust system and air filter installed at the time of purchase and that they also jetted carburetors according to the exhaust and air filter setup. He told me that he only ran 6 tanks of fuel through it since it was new. It spent its time sitting in a climate controlled environment covered up sitting off the ground.   

Now to the main question. The owner gave me a brand new bottle of 2 stroke pre mix oil that he used in it from the time it was brand new and told me to mix it at 32:1. Now my concern is would it hurt to change the oil brand or should I buy what he used in it ? 

Thanks in advance. 

Jake 

Welcome to BansheeHQ! There is plenty of members here that can help answer any of your questions or help with any problems that arise. From reading your post it sounds like you might of found yourself a great deal. I have a couple of questions to help you get some of the answers you are looking for. I hope that you got to start it up and got to ride it before you bought it. The next thing you need to consider is how long was this Banshee stored without it being started? I’m just curious because if it sat too long the gaskets and seals will dry out and start to leak which will lead to a catastrophic failure. I would highly recommend that you consider doing a compression test and a leak down test asap. I would also highly recommend going completely over the Banshee before considering taking it out riding. My question is what brand of 2 stroke pre mix oil did the previous owner give you? How old is the content in the bottle and is the bottle still factory sealed?

Good Luck!! 

Edited by JerzOutlaw350
  • Like 1

First off Good Afternoon Fellas!            I would like to introduce myself and my name Jake. I would like to first apologize for the long post here but I am new to this whole Banshee thing. I have been trolling the site for a few weeks now learning as much information as possible about the Yamaha Banshee. So today I decided that I would join the BansheeHQ community. I’ll have to say that this site is very resourceful with a lot of information for a new banshee owner like me. 

So. this past weekend I purchased a very clean, low hour and a very well maintained (I’m the 2nd owner) 2005 Yamaha Banshee Special Edition that is basically stock other than the aftermarket exhaust system and air filter setup. The previous owners gave me the original owner manual and tool kit with it. He said he had the exhaust system and air filter installed at the time of purchase and that they also jetted carburetors according to the exhaust and air filter setup. He told me that he only ran 6 tanks of fuel through it since it was new. It spent its time sitting in a climate controlled environment covered up sitting off the ground.   

Now to the main question. The owner gave me a brand new bottle of 2 stroke pre mix oil that he used in it from the time it was brand new and told me to mix it at 32:1. Now my concern is would it hurt to change the oil brand or should I buy what he used in it ? 

Thanks in advance. 

Jake 
Any modern oil mixed in between 2% and 4% will be good.

Envoyé de mon SM-S908W en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank for the quick replies guys!  I did ask him a few questions before I got to start it up. I did check the coolant level in the radiator and over flow bottle and also checked the transmission oil level. I did get to hear it run and It did start with 2 kicks with stone cold engine using the choke. I also did kill the engine a couple of times and it did start right back up with 1 kick. I also checked to see if there was pressure buildup coming out of where the dip stick screws in. I also got to test ride it before I paid for it and he also gave me a 30 day written warranty. I asked him when the last time it was ridden and he said early November. He told me that throughout the time it sits and not being ridden he uses a plastic container that he fills with a little bit of fuel and hangs from a beam and he removes fuel line that connects to the fuel shut off valve and connects the fuel line from the hanging plastic container and he would start it up a couple of times a month. 

I ordered a clymer repair manual and I also ordered a leak down test kit from the South Texas Banshee Guy. I’m borrowing a compression tester from a friend of mine. I spent some of my time yesterday looking over everything  like the front & rear brake system, all of the rubber hoses, the front and back tires, chain and sprockets, rear axle bearings, front hub bearings, upper and lower a-arm bearings, swing arm bearings, suspension bearings and everything else seems nice and tight. I don’t see any signs of any fluids leaking either. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed. 

As for the 2 stroke pre mix oil he gave me a 1 liter bottle of VP Racing X2 1050 full synthetic 2T off road formula. The bottle seems pretty new and the cap seal doesn’t look broken or anything. My only problem is that it’s not available locally for me to purchase.  I can order it online straight from VP themselves. That’s why I’m asking if it’s safe to change the brand of 2 stroke oil? What would be the best to use? 

Thank you JerzOutlaw 350 & ClaudeMachining 

Thank for the quick replies guys!  I did ask him a few questions before I got to start it up. I did check the coolant level in the radiator and over flow bottle and also checked the transmission oil level. I did get to hear it run and It did start with 2 kicks with stone cold engine using the choke. I also did kill the engine a couple of times and it did start right back up with 1 kick. I also checked to see if there was pressure buildup coming out of where the dip stick screws in. I also got to test ride it before I paid for it and he also gave me a 30 day written warranty. I asked him when the last time it was ridden and he said early November. He told me that throughout the time it sits and not being ridden he uses a plastic container that he fills with a little bit of fuel and hangs from a beam and he removes fuel line that connects to the fuel shut off valve and connects the fuel line from the hanging plastic container and he would start it up a couple of times a month. 

I ordered a clymer repair manual and I also ordered a leak down test kit from the South Texas Banshee Guy. I’m borrowing a compression tester from a friend of mine. I spent some of my time yesterday looking over everything  like the front & rear brake system, all of the rubber hoses, the front and back tires, chain and sprockets, rear axle bearings, front hub bearings, upper and lower a-arm bearings, swing arm bearings, suspension bearings and everything else seems nice and tight. I don’t see any signs of any fluids leaking either. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed. 

As for the 2 stroke pre mix oil he gave me a 1 liter bottle of VP Racing X2 1050 full synthetic 2T off road formula. The bottle seems pretty new and the cap seal doesn’t look broken or anything. My only problem is that it’s not available locally for me to purchase.  I can order it online straight from VP themselves. That’s why I’m asking if it’s safe to change the brand of 2 stroke oil? What would be the best to use? 

Thank you JerzOutlaw 350 & ClaudeMachining 
Just use the oil and buy some easy available one after.

• Like 1

To be honest anything that VP Racing make is a great product but there’s many different brands of 2 stroke pre mix oil on the market that are also very good as well. There must be a specific reason why the previous owner used VP’s brand over the other brands. So If you need to buy the VP’s Racing brand of 2 stroke oil online then that’s really not a big deal. A lot of people on the site here have there preference on what they run and like very much and most will tell you to try either Klotz R-50 or Klotz Super Techniplate, Klotz  Benol, Maxima Castor 927 or Blendzall Green Label and the list is endless. I myself personally prefer Motul 800 2t off road. I been using it since my Banshee was brand new in 2004. I mix it at 50:1 because if I do it at 32:1 then I get the black drool coming out the end of my silencers. If Motul was to discontinue the brand I use I would switch to either Klotz R-50 or Klotz Super Techniplate or even Blendzall’s green label. The group that I ride with they all use Klotz as their choice of 2 stroke oil. So just stop pussy footing around a get out and ride the hell out of the damn thing and enjoy it !!!!!! 

Good Luck and Ride Safe !!!

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the suggestions and advice. I really do appreciate it very much. I wound up going online with VP racing and ordered a case of their brand of 2 stroke oil. They said that I should have it on Monday. I’m going to take the Banshee out riding this coming Sunday with a couple of buddies and I can’t wait. It gets kinda boring just riding around my house. 2👍👍for this awesome site!! 

Thanks 
Jake

Edited by HeavyHauler

No problem! I don’t know if you have one or if any of your buddies have one but you might want to hit up your local dealership and invest in a ratio rite cup. That will help with mixing the 2 stroke oil and gas together accurately. You also have to look for a good grade of 93 octane gasoline or even look for a place in your area that sells E-free gasoline. E-free gasoline is ethanol free and at some places they sell it in 91-97 octane. In my area there is 2 places that sell it and one sells 95 octane and the other place sells 97 octane. If you have anymore questions don’t hesitate to put a post up on the site here and someone here will help you out.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much JerzOutlaw350 for all the useful information that you’ve been giving. So yesterday I did the compression test and a leak down test on the engine. Compression test was left cylinder (shifter side) 139psi and right cylinder (rear brake pedal side) 140psi and did each cylinder twice to make sure it was correct and came back with the same result. I received the leak down test kit from South Texas Banshee and then I went to work on doing the leak down test. Before I did anything I went onto South Texas Banshee’s YouTube channel and watched the video and I followed his instructions on how to perform the test. The engine held 6psi for 6+ minutes. I also made a soap and water solution and sprayed all around the top end and didn’t see any signs of foaming bubbles or any signs of bubbles around any of the gasket areas. 

I had plans of going to my local dealership after work today to pick up a few things. I was going to get some extra spark plugs, some chain lube, a 5 gallon fuel jug and oil so I can change the transmission oil.

I can get a good quality 93 octane gas locally and I also can get high quality race gas locally as well. I’ll have to look into that e-free gasoline that you are talking about too. 

Thanks 

Jake 

This is what I purchased from my local dealership for my first riding trip on Sunday with my Banshee. I bought 4 NGK BR8ES spark plugs, Bel-Ray chain lube, 2 bottles of Bel-Ray 80w Gear Saver and 2 - 5 gallon drums of VP C-12. I have the drain plug out and letting the transmission oil drain out overnight. So… my question is did I make a purchase good for my Banshee? 

Thanks 

Jake

This is what I purchased from my local dealership for my first riding trip on Sunday with my Banshee. I bought 4 NGK BR8ES spark plugs, Bel-Ray chain lube, 2 bottles of Bel-Ray 80w Gear Saver and 2 - 5 gallon drums of VP C-12. I have the drain plug out and letting the transmission oil drain out overnight. So… my question is did I make a purchase good for my Banshee? 

Thanks 
Jake
No. C-12 is useless.

You should always run the least octane your setup can take, not the other way around.

Octane don't make power.

Use 91-93 pump gaz, ethanol free is better

• Thanks 1

Thanks ClaudeMachining! Yeah I should’ve also took the advice that JerzOutlaw350 gave as well on the type of gas to run. I found a local Sunoco gas station that sells 95 octane ethanol free gasoline at the pump for $4.45 a gallon. I’ll just take the other 5 gallon drum of VP C-12 I have and save it and dump it into my street bike.

Thanks Again 

Jake

Edited by HeavyHauler
Misspelled word
  • Like 1

So….Yesterday I got to finally take my Banshee out riding since I bought it and and boy did I have a blast riding it. I should’ve bought a Banshee years ago. She ran really well and the power was more than I expected as well as the throttle response was nice and crisp. The only thing that I noticed is that the stock tires were mediocre and I expected them to perform a lot better than what they did. I did look at the tires that my friends were using on their ATV’s. I asked them about the brand of tires that they use and they said that anything is better than the stock tires that comes on the ATV from the factory. Then there was something else I forgot to buy the other day when I was at the dealership because I was so excited about taking her out riding on Sunday was, I forgot to buy a helmet and chest protector, goggles and gloves. I was lucky that my one friend carries a extra helmet, chest protector, goggles and gloves in his trailer. So.. Today I’m off to the dealership to shop for some riding gear and then I’m going to do some research and look around for a better set of tires and wheels.  Then I’m going to take the stock tires and wheels off and put them off to the shelf in my basement. I’ll make a post about tires and wheels later today and see what everybody’s options are on that topic. 

Thanks, 

Jake