Are my carbs too big?? If not, where should I start jetting wise?

Hello Newbie here,

I'll do my best to give you all of the relevant information needed.

For background info, I just had my 97 Banshee motor completely rebuilt - the pistons and crank were both junk when I bought it, I've yet to ride it. The motor build consisted of 35.5mm Weisco pistons and a new hot rod crank with the stock cylinders machined to match. I, unfortunately, sort of overlooked adressing the porting on the cylinders and the gentleman who built it didn't really bring that up (cylinders believed to be previously ported). To fuel it the shop and I spoke of carbs and I settled of a set of knockoff 34mm PWK's from Vito's Performance. Can I get a good idea of the port job by removing the intake manifold and reeds?

Mods consist of

35.5mm Weisco Pistons

Stock Length Hotrod Crank

Mild ported cylinders???

VForce 4 Reeds with billet manifold

34mm Knock off Keihin PWK carbs w/ rando small filters to match (Vito KN1090 style filters had too large of ID on the flange) - no air box.

Toomey T5 Exhaust

Pro Design Cool head with 19mm domes

Ricky Stator w/ adjustable timing plate (I figure this is irrelevant)

I need to know in the very near future if these carbs are too much for my build as I'll only have so long to address this with the shop I went through / Vitos. I intend to mostly ride in the summer with temps between 65 - 85 degrees at 900ft elevation.

Thank you guys for the feedback. I was afraid I had way too much carb, still learning as you can see. I have only one photo of the inside of the cylinders, I don't know how helpful that will be. Can I measure the porting with the cylinder still on and/or take a useful photo or the ports? Intake and exhaust side both?

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know. Little update, I've returned the knockoff PWK's to Vitos and I'll be sourcing genuine Keihin 28mm carbs. I haven't gotten around to measuring the port timing yet - I need to get a degree wheel but it's on the to-do list. I assume I'll be checking on both the intake and exhaust side? I plan to conduct research on how those measurements are taken.

@375hp banshees My OEM stator was pretty much junk - the bike did start on it briefly before the rebuild commenced but it was in poor condition. I did look into sourcing an OEM stator but they're like $800 new. Would you suggest sourcing a OE stator used in good condition? I wanted the ability to advance the timing, personally, I doubt I'll have an issue with the stator and I can certainly check it for resistance if I ever have an issue. 

Planning to do a mix of trail riding and just mobbing around disturbing the peace in my neighborhood. 

As for fuel, likely a mix of 110 and 93, I'll probably do my break-in period with a 50/50 mix then check my compression and make a decision on what fuel I need to run from there. 

Good to know. Little update, I've returned the knockoff PWK's to Vitos and I'll be sourcing genuine Keihin 28mm carbs. I haven't gotten around to measuring the port timing yet - I need to get a degree wheel but it's on the to-do list. I assume I'll be checking on both the intake and exhaust side? I plan to conduct research on how those measurements are taken.
[mention=21914]375hp banshees[/mention] My OEM stator was pretty much junk - the bike did start on it briefly before the rebuild commenced but it was in poor condition. I did look into sourcing an OEM stator but they're like $800 new. Would you suggest sourcing a OE stator used in good condition? I wanted the ability to advance the timing, personally, I doubt I'll have an issue with the stator and I can certainly check it for resistance if I ever have an issue. 
Planning to do a mix of trail riding and just mobbing around disturbing the peace in my neighborhood. 
As for fuel, likely a mix of 110 and 93, I'll probably do my break-in period with a 50/50 mix then check my compression and make a decision on what fuel I need to run from there. 
Why don't you use pump 93??? Did you check the UCCR?

Envoyé de mon SM-S908W en utilisant Tapatalk