Glamis

Indubitably

Ok so we went for a guys trip out to Glamis for the first time ever, sounds like fun. It was extremely cold around 30ish degrees. The guys consisted of me (16 years old), my cousin (in his 20's), and my Dad (old fart). So we get there and hook up with some of my Dad's friends who have been going there for 10+ years. My Father decides to go on a night ride in the dunes, which we never do and I am a little freaked about going so I decided not to take the shee and stay at camp. Turns out my Dad gets out in the middle of the dunes, and while going around a bowl a few times his outer rear wheel in his buggy pops off the bead (as he was going a littlte too fast). Which in turn launch's my cousin and him over a razorback, which thankfully flattened out. The other buggy with them came back to camp to get some starting fluid and a lighter to do the the wheel trick. Then the other buggy couldn't find my Dad and Cousin. So after 4 hours of being stranded in the dunes we decide to call the ranger for a search party to find my dad. Turns out the rangers weren't around so the sheriffs had to come out. 2 hours later they come out and tell us at camp that they are organizing a search party.

The search starts 4 hours later and they find my dad at the break of dawn walking back to camp with my cousin through the dunes. Turns out the only way they stayed warm was to carry gas in water bottles and light bushes/twigs on fire.

Lesson is light stuff on fire if needed or desired. Oh and remember where your friends are.

My first time in Glamis (uh...like 3 weeks ago) I joined a group to go on a night ride with. I'd never ridden with them but since I was there by myself and anxious to ride I decided to team up, besides, they seemed nice enough around the campfire. We set out around 10pm. I'd only been at camp for about 2 hours and aside from a quick glance at a map before leaving home, didn't know the area for shit. The order was 2 sand rails in the lead, a 400ex, me and another rail behind me. Wouldn't you know it, not 5 minutes into the ride the banshee starts bogging and running like hell. Immediately I think that I've lost a cylinder. i pull off to the side of the trail and signal the rail behind me - who proceeds to drive AROUND me and dissappear into the darkness with the rest of the group. Ok that blew. Then I realize that I'd set my flashlight down at camp and forgot to put it back in my pocket. Ok so I braille it on the engine checking the plug caps thinking one probably popped off, nope both are on there. I checked about as much as you can when you're blind with no luck. At this point I thanked god that I've always been a total dork when it came to astronomy. I knew that the railroad tracks that I was camped near were to the east of me. So I scoped out a few major consellations, was able to figure out which way was east and limped the shee that away (I figured even blowing up the engine was better than having to walk out and probably never find the bike again). Eventually I made it back to the railroad tracks and then to camp. Within 30 seconds of having a flashlight I found the problem - the wire going to the spark plug cap had pulled out of the cap. I'd felt the cap but not the wire! The group I'd crashed with showed up back at camp around 12:30am. Apparently they didn't see my bike next to my car cuz they were talking about going out to look for me (a little late). Unfortunately I opened my truck up and told 'em I was indeed back. Within a week after getting back from that trip I bought a GPS. Also now I triple check that I have that, a lighter, flashlight, extra batteries, and water anytime I set out after sunset.

• 4 weeks later...

If you ride in a group and you notice someone is missing you should stop and back track to find the missing person. Knowing land marks really helps you find your way even on a dark night. There are always lights or something that you can see to find your direction when lost in the dunes. GPS can be a life saver and I do have it on my Banshee... it was worth every penny of the 100 dollar price tag.

GPS is good, But you should have pulled the buggy to the top of a hill or the bottem of a noticable place. Maybe they could have been more careful when heading back to camp.

That way it would have been much easier to find them, then tell them to run their whip light or what not on so its easier to find them on the way back...You guys were drinking weren't you! Sounds like it would have been better to try to make it the short distance with the tire off the bead than leaving the vehicle compleatly (if possible).

Always wear warm cloths on nightrides, and always ride with someone who can if needed pull you a distance outa harms way or that knows the area enogh to find you again.

Night rides are really fun, but we normaly don't just drive out into the middle of the dunes at night either, unless we are on our way to one of the hills or other location, in which it would be fairly easy to find someone on the way back. I tent camp, so I know how cold it gets every night, not much you can do about it though I guess.

At least you got to ride. My last 2 trips to glamis have been to get there, find my banshee not working, and then leave the same day after wasting TONS of money...

But you should have pulled the buggy to the top of a hill or the bottem of a noticable place.

It was at the top of a hill and the whip broke so not light was possible for that. The headlights did work, but the main problem was the guy who was supposed to find my dad is dumb and got lost. He got lost the next day when we were driving the buggy back to camp. All of the oil poured out throught the valve cover so there was no way my Dad was goin to run it into a valley.

At least you got to ride. My last 2 trips to glamis have been to get there, find my banshee not working, and then leave the same day after wasting TONS of money...

I didn't really get to ride as the people in camp wouldn't let me go look for my Dad. Then I got to ride the next day to the buggy and then back. Then we packed and went home.