Starts but won’t rev

Ok newby to website. Been reading for years if that counts? So bike one day decided it didn’t want to start. Chased everything I could, found that the lighting side of the stator was bad. So I decided to just change the stator. Local shop just had a square plug ricks stator. As my bike is a 92 (round plug) I popped the plugs off and switched the plugs over. Bike starts now which it wouldn’t before. But it will idle only. Try and rev it and you can see the fuel flowing past the needles but won’t rev and if opened up finally gets enough fuel to flood it out. What could be the culprit behind the spark not advancing. I bought the bike off a buddy so I really haven’t torn in to it. Always ran fine till a few months ago. 

92 banshee

toomey t5’s

34 mm mikuni 

v4 reeds

k&t performance intake and cool head 19cc

Mostly stock from what I see. No porting, stick cylinder. Runs well enough I know it’s bored out pretty far. 

Me as well on the own stuff. But when I went to 2 yamaha dealers they told me it was discontinued. I’ve ran the ricks stators before. Never had a problem other than I only get about 2 years use out of them before they die. As far as I know I bought my first banshee when I was 15 it was the cub I have now I bought new in 95 and the only electronics that would cause this would be the tors which was eliminated on this bike before I got it. So unless the wires came loose and are touching? I’m thinking Cdi is causing it. Just need some back up on this theory before I spend the money. Funds are real tight as my wife isn’t working and can’t due to congestive heart failure. Along with looking around I haven’t found any parts that are round plug. Getting hard to find and was trying to avoid spending the money to switch it over. Lol

Did they have the park break system in 92? I do not believe I tore one off my 95 when I did the wire harness on that one. I know they had the park break but don’t remember anything electrical on it. But that was 15 years ago or better that I eliminated all that stuff. That’s why I’m believing cdi. I’m about to go out and go threw the harness on it and make sure there is nothing shorting out and see what wiring is in it. 

Yea and I don’t know anything about the cdi. I know this one is stock round plug so it is older. And I’d wires crossed somewhere in rewriting the stator I don’t think it would run at all. That’s what’s leading me to believe cdi. I’ve bumped timing around and started just fine from 0 to 7 degrees so I put it back at 4 and left it. I’m lost at this point. Guess I’ll try and find a cdi and see if that’s it. From what I have read there is no way to test the cdi? 

• 2 weeks later...