Beater Build

BigRed350x

Well, got the banshee home and started to tear into it.  1989 model.  Frame is in great shape, no bends or cracks anywhere.  Came with a 2into1 intake and a 39mm pwk carb and a set of 28pwk's with intakes and filters.  FMF pipes in great shape.  

Pulled the engine for a tear down.  It looks like it has a brand new top end and brand new cylinders, but im pretty sure they are those cheap chinese knockoff cylinders.  Pistons had no markings at all.  The head gasket was a really thin flimsy piece of sheetmetal.  Definitely not stock.   Are those cylinders any good or just toss em? 

Cases have never been port matched or anything.  As far as i can tell so far its pretty unmolested.

out of the box yes they are junk but they can be cleaned up to make it run right idk about how optimal though, but a cheap fix in the right hands from what ive read (with good pistons) i wouldnt run them, but also if your planning on this being a bigger motor like a 10 or something  and you arent going to run those 28s a guy in the FS section is looking might be able to help fund your build. pics??

On 9/14/2018 at 8:32 PM, registered user said:

those knockoff cylinders are kind of junky . the machining may not be very good and sleeve might not be straight. if u have porting tools u should b able to clean them up and theyll b usable

Good info.  I have some older basic porting stuff in a box somewhere.  I would probably have to order some new bits and stuff for them.  I'll probably just toss them in a box and go with an aftermarket cylinder.

Here's a few pics.

Split the cases last night.  Lots of old goo in there.  Still had the original clutch from yamaha from back in 1989.  I don't think the cases had ever been opened up.  At least I know anything that gets F'd up at this point is my fault.  LoL  Everything else looked to be in really good shape for its age.  No deep grooves in the clutch basket, idler gear was still tight on the shaft, stock shift star, shift segment adjustment eccentric bolt didn't show any wear....

0920181930d_zpszersmqra.jpg

0920181930b_zpsvkvxtwq1.jpg

0914181817b_zpsonbzvpbl.jpg

0914181817a_zpsj1yeckxi.jpg

0914181817a_zpsj1yeckxi.jpg

0914181717a_zpsww1sdqpy.jpg

Not bad for $1000.  Came with plastics, gas tank, seat in good condition (only 1 small tear about an inch long)...  

Still not too sure about the knock-off cylinders and those pistons though.  

The little red thing in the cases was just the straw from my carb cleaner can that popped off as I was spraying some stuff off.